Dear Students Interested in Study Abroad:

Welcome back from the holiday break! Thank you for reading this week’s Study Abroad list serve message.

We’re pleased to list in this message the winners of the 2009 International Photo & Video Contest. The winners were announced at the November 20th Coffee Hour and their work is soon to be posted on our website: http://www.uga.edu/oie/pc_contest.htm  Read on for this, and other important announcements.

Instructions for unsubscribing yourself from this listserv are at the bottom of every SISA announcement.

Join us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Athens-GA/University-of-Georgia-Study-Abroad/55631297668?v=info

In this week’s message…

STUDY, WORK & TRAVEL ABROAD INFO:
1. Attention Fall 2009 Study Abroad Participants--Your Feedback Is Needed!
2. Search for a UGA Study Abroad or Exchange Program
3. Germany Exchange Opportunity after graduation! Deadline: 12/1
4. Walk-in Advising in Memorial Hall: every Tuesday & Friday afternoon
5. Study Abroad ‘Options Abroad’ Info Sessions, offered 3 days a week

STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS:
6. Boren Awards for International Study, Campus Deadline 1/11/2010
7. Sara’s Wish Scholarship Fund, Preliminary Applications due 10/09 - 1/10
8. Zeta Phi Beta Deborah Partridge Wolfe International Fellowship: Accepting applications now through Feb 1, 2010.

INTERNATIONAL HAPPENINGS AROUND UGA:
9. 2009 International Photo & Video Contest Winners Announced!
10. IEA Benefit Concert (International Events Association), 12/1
11. International COFFEE HOUR: 12/4
12. Asian Indian Community Christmas Program, 12/5
13. Unsubscribe yourself from SISA-L

STUDY, WORK, & TRAVEL ABROAD INFO:

1. Attention Fall 2009 Study Abroad Participants--Your Feedback Is Needed!

Hello from the Director of Study Abroad at UGA. Just a reminder to fall study abroad participants - we would love to hear your feedback on your program, the good and the bad.  If you went on a UGA faculty-led group, you are probably filling out an evaluation with the group, but you are welcome to do the form below as well.  If you went on an exchange or external program, we'd especially love to hear from you on this form as it is our primary means of learning more about your experience:

http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_re_eva.htm

Thanks, and hope you had a great experience abroad!

--
Dr. Kasee Clifton Laster
Director of Study Abroad

Office of International Education
Bank of America, third floor
110 E. Clayton Street
Athens, Georgia  30602

Phone:  706-425-3275
Fax:            706-425-3315
Physical location: corner of Clayton and Lumpkin, downtown
Web location: www.uga.edu/oie

2. Search for a UGA Study Abroad or Exchange Program

http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_prog.htm

Have you checked out our searchable database of Study Abroad and Exchange opportunities for UGA students? Find a program according to destination, academic subject, time of travel, availability of scholarships, and many other preferences.

3. Germany Exchange Opportunity after graduation! Deadline: 12/1

The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is currently accepting applications from your students and recent graduates who are interested in living, studying, and interning in Germany on a full-year, funded fellowship.  CBYX is sponsored by the US and German governments for applicants in all career fields between the ages of 18-24, and does not require any prior German language knowledge!  Applicants in business, vocational, technical, engineering, scientific, and agricultural fields are especially encouraged to apply.

75 participants are annually awarded the CBYX fellowship to spend a year studying and working in their career fields while completely immersed in German language and culture.  Please forward this email to ideal candidates among your students and young alumni, who can find more information at www.CBYX.info.

The CBYX for Young Professionals fellowship includes:
• two months of intensive German language training (prior German language knowledge is not required, but preferred)
• four months of study in the participant’s career field at a German college or university
• five-month internship in the participant’s career field with a German company
• accommodations living with German hosts, in shared apartments, and in student dorms
• transatlantic airfare and monthly food stipends
• health/accident insurance
• various program seminars in the United States and Germany
• support throughout the program year by local program representatives

Eligibility:
• US citizen or permanent resident
• between the ages of 18-24 at the start of the program in July 2010
• high school diploma or equivalent
• clear career goals and some relevant work experience in career field
• strong interest in German and international affairs, and a strong sense of American identity
• flexibility, independence, and diplomacy

Application deadline is December 1, 2009 for the program beginning in July 2010.  For more information, and to apply online, visit: www.CBYX.info.   Questions?  Please contact [log in to unmask] or 212-497-3522.

4.  Walk-in Advising with a Study Abroad Representative in Memorial Hall:

Are you interested in studying, working, or volunteering abroad? If so, you can stop by Memorial Hall on Tuesdays and Fridays between 1:30-5:00pm to meet with a study abroad representatives. No appointment is necessary these are walk-in sessions! The study abroad representatives will be in Memorial Hall, Room 233 (in the ICA Department suite). You can also schedule an appointment to meet with a study abroad advisor at their main location downtown at the Bank of America Building.

5. Study Abroad ‘Options Abroad’ Info Sessions, offered 3 days a week

In these 50-minute information sessions, a study abroad Advisor in the Office of Study Abroad will explain the basics of finding a study abroad program, using the resources in our study abroad library, the process of transferring credit from an external study abroad program, financial aid and scholarships for study abroad, health and insurance, basic travel information, information on working, volunteering, or interning abroad, and SISA, the study abroad listserv.

The sessions are held three times a week in 303 Bank of America Building, 110 E. Clayton St. Visit our website for more information. http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_info_session.htm
Students must sign up in advance as space is limited.

STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS:

6. Boren Awards for International Study, Campus Deadline 1/11/2010

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. Sponsored by the National Security Education Program (NSEP), the awards focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad. Work obligation with Federal Government or in higher education after college; not for use in Western Europe or most English-speaking countries.

UGA Campus Application Deadline: January 11, 2010. Campus Interviews to take place after the initial campus review.

The application deadline for the Boren Fellowship for graduate students is January 28, 2010. The application deadline for the Boren Scholarship for undergraduate students is February 10, 2010.

Please see your campus representative for more information about your on-campus deadline. Contact: Jessica Hunt, Major Scholarship Coordinator, 215 Moore College, [log in to unmask]
http://www.borenawards.org/

7. The Sara's Wish Scholarship Fund, Preliminary Applications Due Oct 2009 thru January, 2010.

SARA'S WISH FOUNDATION was established to perpetuate the memory of Sara Christie Schewe. In 1996, Sara, a beautiful and loving young woman, was killed in a fatal bus crash in India along with three classmates while participating in the University of Pittsburgh's Semester at Sea Program.  Sara's Wish Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting Safe And Rewarding Adventures for students, emerged out of this Semester at Sea tragedy. This organization promotes education about travel safety guidelines.

A Legacy of Leadership, Service, and Adventure…The Mission of the Scholarship Fund is to perpetuate Sara's ideals by providing financial support for travel experiences for students who share Sara's zest for life, love of adventure, and zeal to excel.

Sara's Wish Foundation scholarships are awarded to extraordinary young women committed to making the world a better place by fully participating in it. Assistance has been offered to dozens of young women who exhibit qualities of leadership, service, and adventure. With our financial contributions, young women have defrayed the costs associated with traveling to all areas of the globe.  Ethiopia, Korea, the Philippines, Chile, Nepal, and South Africa are just a few examples. Our scholarship recipients perform a wide variety of remarkable public services in these distant lands, contributing to the welfare of our global village. Be sure to read more about them, as they truly offer inspiration and hope for our future.

Scholarship Application Information Criteria:
A commitment to public service
A strong record of scholarship
A history of leadership experience
A sincere interest in the work of Sara's Wish Foundation
A willingness to join with Sara's Wish Foundation in its ongoing efforts to improve safety awareness

Timeline: Scholarships are granted yearly according to the timeline below.

- Oct-Jan: Preliminary Applications reviewed as they are submitted.
- Nov-Feb: Candidates selected from the preliminary applications are asked to submit resumes, essays, and two letters of recommendation.
- Dec-March: Finalists are interviewed by telephone or in person by members of the scholarship committee.
- March: All scholarship winners are announced by the end of March.

Visit the Sara’s Wish Foundation website: http://www.saraswish.org/index.htm

8. Zeta Phi Beta Deborah Partridge Wolfe International Fellowship: Accepting applications now through Feb 1, 2010.

Available to graduate or undergraduate United States students studying abroad and/or graduate or undergraduate foreign students studying within. Awarded for full-time study for one academic year (Fall-Spring). Amount varies from $500 to $1,000 paid directly to recipient. Documented proof of academic study and plan of program must be sent to the Scholarship Chairperson with signature of school administrator or Program Director.

**** APPLICATION PROCEDURE ****
Copies of the scholarship application form may be accessed electronically via the following websites:  www.ZPBNEF1975.org or www.ZphiB1920.org

ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY:
Three letters of recommendation (from a College Professor or High School Teacher, a Minister or Community Leader, and Other); An official University/High School Transcript; An essay of 150 words or more. Include information about yourself, your educational goals and professional
aspirations. How can this award help you to achieve these goals? Why should you receive this award? Award recipients, only, will be notified, no later than August 15, of the Foundation's actions.

INTERNATIONAL HAPPENINGS AROUND UGA:

9. 2009 International Photo & Video Contest Winners Announced!

Our awards ceremony was a huge success with over 400 guests in attendance.

Thanks to our many judges, including Study Abroad Peer Advisors, International Education Staff. Special thanks to the judges not affiliated with Study Abroad at the University, who gave their time to this event: local photographer Kelli Guinn-Olsson, http://www.kelliguinn.com and international conservation and anthropology scholar, Meredith Welch-Devine.

We are proud to share the list of this year’s contest winners. Be sure to visit our contest webpage, where the winning entries will be posted later this week. You can also view the winning photos from previous years’ competitions. http://www.uga.edu/oie/pc_contest.htm

Student Engagement Category:
- 1st Place, Kristy Jones, A Foot Race in Sir Lowrey’s Pass
- 2nd Place, Emily Goff, Perito Moreno Glacier
- 3rd Place, Jenah Zweig, Elephants Never Forget…And Neither Will I
- Honorable Mentions: Caitlyn Livingston, The Perfect Ending to a Perfect Day
     AND
Brett Cannon, Visitors Outside the Forbidden City

Creative Expression Category:
- 1st Place, Erin Riser, Paris Through My Eyes
- 2nd Place, Frances Ione Fabian, Camel in Old Sana’a
- 3rd Place, Sarah Pelham, Huangshan
- Honorable Mentions: Ashley Renee Norris, Framing the Artist
     AND
Bradley Wong, Long Bus Ride (****ALSO winner of the People’s Choice Award at Nov. 20th’s Awards Ceremony****)
     AND
Sara Victoria Pitt, The Road to Machu Piccu

Video Category:
1st Place, Kristin Espiau, Professional Development Training in Chile

View all this year’s 203 photo entries: http://judgingoiephotosuga.shutterfly.com/

View the 10 video submissions at: http://www.youtube.com/user/OIEPhotoContestUGA

Questions about the International Photo and Video Contest can be sent to Lila Grisar, Contest Coordinator, at: [log in to unmask]

10. IEA BENEFIT CONCERT (International Events Association), 12/1

Featuring bands like the guitarist from The Leading Edge, The
Ha’s, Bigfoot, Coco Rico and maybe more!

December 1st, 9pm (doors open at 8)
Tasty World
312 East Broad Street

$4 in advance, $6 at the door, and $1 OFF for International
Students!

Contact: International Events Association on Facebook, or
write to Nick at [log in to unmask]

Proceeds go to the International Rescue Committee to help
refugees.

11. International COFFEE HOUR— 12/4

Don't miss Coffee Hour this Friday, December 4th, from 11:30-1:30pm. This week's event- a Chili Fiesta!- is sponsored by the International Student Life Office. Stop by the Memorial Hall Ballroom for refreshments, music, and great conversation! This program is open to everyone. For more information contact the International Student Life office at 542-5867.

12. ASIAN INDIAN COMMUNITY CHRISTMAS PROGRAM, 12/5

Saturday, December 5, 2009
5:00 P.M.
Beech Haven Baptist Church
2390 West Broad Street
Athens, Georgia 30606

You and your family are invited to attend.

* Christmas Music in Hindi  - Soloist with Instruments*
*Christmas Story Told Through Pictures*
*A Gift for Everyone (Children and Adult)*
*Asian Indian and American Food*
*Crafts & Story for Children*

You will be our Special Guest Please bring your family and Indian friends with you.

Transportation Available

For any information or to arrange for pickup kindly contact: Joyce Bowen 706-549-7281 or Email: [log in to unmask]
Photographer will be available for those who desire photo taken.

- Visit the Listserv website at http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/sisa-l.html

- Select the option: “Join or leave the list (or change settings)”

- Type your name, the e-mail address you signed up with, and select “Leave the List” (if you have your e-mails forwarded, you must use the e-mail address you signed up with, not the final destination e-mail address).

- You will receive confirmation details automatically

Lila Grisar
Graduate Assistant
Office of Study Abroad
The University of Georgia

**Thank you for visiting the Study Abroad Office- We would enjoy
feedback from you since your recent visit to our office.
Please take a moment to fill out our online evaluation at this link:
http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_eva.html