North Region teachers,

I realize that the Area 1 and 2 Agricultural Communications CDEs have not
happened yet, but for those planning to participate, I want to share the
following information. There is a tight turn around between the Area 1 and 2
events and the state events, and those advancing will need this information.
The area CDE will not contain all parts of the state CDE, so those advancing
will need to be aware of how to prepare for the state CDE. Specifically,
there is a team Communications Proposal due for the teams that qualify for
the state CDE. You will see that the proposal is due to me by March 1. That
is just a couple of weeks after your area event. Please be sure that you
have that on your radar as you prepare for the area CDE. For more
information about how the area CDE will be handled, contact Blane Marable in
the North Region office. The specifics of how the state CDE will be handled
are below.

The state Ag Communications CDE  will take place on Saturday, March 20, as
part of Super Saturday at the FFA/FCCLA Center in Covington. This year I am
serving as Superintendent of the state Agricultural Communications CDE, so I
will be sharing information with those who qualify between now and Super
Saturday.

Attached are two items, 1) the state guidelines for the Ag Communications
CDE; and 2) the national guidelines for the Ag Communications CDE. I have
attached both because there are places in our state guidelines that are
vague and simply make reference to the national guidelines. Specifically,
the information that you will need concerning your team's Communications
Proposal, and the presentation are in the national CDE guidelines. I have
highlighted specific areas of the national guidelines, and encourage you to
pay particular attention to those, as they are the guidelines we will use
for your written proposals and your group presentations. Also included in
the national guidelines are the score cards for the Proposal and the
Presentation.

I realize that each area CDE may have been handled differently and may have
involved different portions of the CDE. So that we are all on the same page,
please read below the process that we will follow for the state Ag
Communications CDE.

Communications Proposal - Each team is expected to complete a communications
proposal based on the selected theme for the year. The theme for 2010 is
Local Environmental Issues. Specific details concerning the make-up of the
proposal and the score card used to evaluated the proposal can be found in
the national CDE guidelines. Five (5) copies of each team's proposal are due
to the state CDE superintendent no later than March 1. You can mail them to
me at the address below.

Ben Lastly

Georgia FFA

316 Poultry Science - UGA

Athens, GA 30602

Editing Quiz - All five members of every team will complete an editing quiz
that contains 25 errors. The specifics are spelled out in both the state and
national CDE guidelines. Students can NOT use a style guide during the quiz.

Communications Quiz - All five team members will complete a quiz that covers
basic elements important to the skill areas of journalistic writing and
graphic design. Five questions will be written for each segment, which
includes broadcast, public relations, news, visuals and ethics of
communication. Team members will NOT be able to use the style manual or a
dictionary during the exercise.

Presentation - Each team will make a presentation about their proposal to a
group of judges. Specific details about the contents of the presentation can
be found in the national CDE guidelines, as can a copy of the presentation
score card. At the state CDE, all teams will give a presentation. Teams
chosen for the final four will give a second presentation.

Scoring of the state CDE is outlined in the state CDE guidelines. A top four
will be chosen using a combination of editing quiz scores (all team
members), communications quiz scores (all team members), proposal score and
presentation score. The four teams advancing to the Finals will give a
second presentation. The final rankings will be tallied using a combined
score of both quizzes (all team members) the proposal, and the finals
presentation.

If you have any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to contact
me. You can reach me via email at [log in to unmask], in the office at (706)
542-8990 or on my cell at (706) 410-4604. Good luck.

Ben

Ben Lastly

Executive Secretary

Georgia FFA Association