---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Subject: dormant Echinacea
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Teri,

                Here are some growing tips for the dormant Echinacea we recently sent to your teachers.  I assume that they will be potting them up while they are still dormant, if this is the case here are a few helpful tips for that process: 1st – be sure not to plant them too deep, planting the crown at or just below the media surface will be plenty deep, having the crown just below the surface will keep them from becoming too floppy (I would not recommend patting the down the media after planting, watering them in will be fine) .  2nd: be sure not to overwater them, in this dormant stage they are much more susceptible to fungi and/or bacteria that will result in rotting of the liner.  3rd:  be sure they are in a sunny spot, this will help the media dry down a bit faster and assist in stopping the liner from rotting.  4th: Echinacea are very adaptable plants and can be grown successfully in most media types, the main aspect to keep in mind is that it will be well draining.  I hope this helps and please let me know if there is any more information that I can provide.

Regards,

Ben Chester

James Greenhouses, Inc.

1699 Crawford Smithonia Road