Teachers,
As you are aware, the 82nd State FFA Convention is taking place next week (April 22-24).  The convention continues to grow from year to year, and we anticipate another successful event in 2010. Your preparation, participation, and assistance are more critical now than ever before.
We have made significant changes to the Convention schedule, so please pay close attention to when and where events are located.
Attached you will find very important assignments regarding courtesy corps, the state convention committee, and advisor responsibilities during the convention.  The State Convention is a life changing experience for many of the young people involved.  Your active involvement will play a vital role in making this positive difference.  I realize this is a very busy time of year, but please take the time to read the following information carefully.
If for any reason you will be unable to fulfill any of the responsibilities to which you are assigned at the convention, please notify Ben Lastly, FFA Executive Secretary at 706-542-8990 immediately.

2010 State FFA Convention Reminders
Registration was due to the State FFA Convention Registration office in Athens on March 30, 2010. If you have not submitted your registration at this time, please plan to register onsite in Macon. Remember that the fee to register onsite is $35 per person. Everyone planning to attend the convention must be registered. Due to security reasons, it is very important that everyone is wearing an official State FFA Convention button or name tag during the convention.
 Registration for the convention will be held from 12:00--6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 22 in the Arena Pre-Function.  Please have copies of the Medical Authorization form completed prior to leaving school.

Available at the registration desk will be concert tickets for $20 each, and copies of the 2010 FFA Theme DVD (Lead Out Loud) for $10 each.
  Please find attached a medical authorization form. Each student who registers for the convention will be required to have a form on file with the convention registration team. The teacher should also maintain a copy for school files. Please complete and duplicate the form prior to leaving school. It is not necessary to turn the medical forms in at the registration desk; We simply ask that you have them with you in Macon so that should an accident occur, we have the necessary medical information for every student.
Prior to leaving your school please make sure that all members have complete official dress for the entire convention. It is especially important for those members who will be receiving awards and/or degrees to be in complete and proper official FFA dress. Please address this issue with your students as it relates to wearing blue jeans, khakis, white socks, hats, and tennis shoes. It is our desire to maintain convention dress at a high level of professionalism.
  The appropriate dress for teachers and others who attend the convention is professional dress. This includes coats and ties for gentlemen and a dress, nice pants suit, or skirt and blouse for ladies. Please help us maintain this standard of professionalism during the convention.
  The Courtesy Corps has been organized to provide additional assistance and direction for the convention. The Courtesy Corps will meet with assigned students and teachers at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 22 in the Arena. All teachers assigned duties and responsibilities should be in attendance to review the requirements and duties of the Courtesy Corps. All other teachers are highly encouraged to be in attendance. As a verification measure, please check the attached Courtesy Corps assignment sheet to determine if one of your members is assigned.

  State officer candidate interviews will begin at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 17 at the Georgia FFA-FCCLA Center in Covington. The interview should be finished around 5:00 p.m. Note: This is the weekend before the convention.
 Advisor responsibilities for convention are included with the courtesy corps attachment.  Please read them carefully and familiarize yourself with your responsibilities during the convention.  If you will not be able to fulfill your responsibility for any reason, please let your Mr. Lastly know immediately. As well as assigned responsibilities, please be aware of what is happening around you, adopt a neighborhood watch manner of thinking, and maintain a security watch at all times. With your cooperation and help, the convention will be a great experience for everyone involved. Every teacher on this list should attend the Courtesy Corps meeting.
  Please remember to bring food for the FFA Convention Food Drive.  All food can be dropped off on Thursday at the Alumni area outside of the Career Show on Thursday afternoon from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. All food collected will go to the Middle Georgia Community Food Bank. Again this year we ask that you make an effort to bring jars of peanut butter!
We will be collecting letters written to U.S. service men and women at the Convention Registration desk. If you have already done so, please encourage your students to write a letter to a soldier. Last year we mailed more than 100 letters from FFA members to U.S. soldiers who are serving overseas. Please help us continue this cause by encouraging your students to thank a soldier with a letter.
Please review the attached State Convention Committee assignments. Insure that students participate in their committee meeting Friday at 12:30 p.m. in  Arena Suite A.
  If you need information about a specific activity at the Convention, or need to know who to contact about a particular situation, please be aware of the following staff assignments and superintendent roles.
Proficiency Interviews – Dr. D.J. Sheppard
Star Interviews – Harry Thompson
CDEs – Von Peavy
Sr. Prepared Public Speaking – Justin Sealy
Jr. Prepared Public Speaking – Dr. Teri Hamlin
Creed Speaking – Dr. Dennis Duncan (UGA)
Extemporaneous Speaking – Christa Steinkamp
FFA Quiz – Eddie McKie
Ag Sales – John Allen Bailey
Discussion Meet – Tommy Waldrop
Marketing Plan – Ricky Wheeler
Agriscience Fair – Anne Smith
Woodworking – Harold Milligan
Alumni Convention – Blane Marable

Please keep in mind that we all have a responsibility for the success of the convention and not just a responsibility to carry out the duties we are assigned. This is especially true in managing and supervising our own students as well as providing a safe and secure environment for all students. Everyone should join together to see that students are where they should be when they should be. Simply checking to see that your students are in the convention hall and are seated and acting appropriately will go a long way in improving the overall success of the convention. Also, teachers should be in attendance in the convention hall to assist with crowd control, to greet guests, and to maintain a safe environment for all students. All teachers should help identify special guests and assist them in getting to the correct location.

Thanks again for everything that you do to provide opportunities for your students. Lets have a GREAT Convention!!!

John (Chip) Bridges
Program Manager, Agricultural Education
Georgia Department of Education
1752 Twin Towers East