Teachers who will be attending professional development workshops in Athens the week of June 22 -27 should secure a hotel room asap.  Athens will be flowing with people thanks to the fun/music filled afternoon-nightly entertainment downtown from annual AthFest Music, Arts, Kids & Film Festival http://www.athfest.com/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:19 AM
Subject: Fresh From The Farm Teacher Training Agenda /Details June 22-24

Teachers who are registered to attend are listed below.  If you can not attend the workshop and your name is on the list please let me know asap we have a waiting list of teachers who would like to participate in this workshop.
Farm to School workshop for Agriculture Educators

(Agenda subject to change – draft 6/2/10)

Notes: We have an active, fun agenda for you. Please come prepared to get your hands dirty and try some new things! Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, and dress for the weather as we’ll be outside a lot of the time.  If you have special food requirements, please let us know or bring your own lunch.  Bring gloves, hat, sunscreen, insect repellant and a water bottle that you can refill.

This workshop will provide teachers with an understanding of Farm to School, local food systems, and hands-on activities they can replicate with their students. Teachers will see, taste and hear examples of how local foods can enhance their students education, and appreciation of farming in Georgia.

June 22 , Tues– Farm to Table Day

7:30am – Coffee at Jittery Joes in Watkinsville : 27 Greensboro Hwy Watkinsville, GA  30677

Phone: 706.769.4280, http://www.jitteryjoes.com/locations/

7:45am – carpool to Full Moon Farms (note farm location has changed since first agenda)

8:00am - arrive at Full Moon Farms

8:30- 10:30  - Harvest and CSA activities (wear boots or tennis shoes, gloves, hats)

10:30 - depart

11:00  - Farm 255 hands-on food demonstration activity (bring change of clothes – shorts/t-shirt)

12: 30 - Lunch (will provide some farm items to supplement your sack lunch)

1:30 - Farm to School overview & discussion

4:00 pm – Athens Farmers Market

June 23, Wed- Garden Building

8:00 am Hilsman Middle School 870 Gaines School Road • Athens GA 30605

(wear boots or tennis shoes, gloves, hats)

8:30 – 11:00am – Garden build and workshop

11:00am – 2:00pm   Lunch, discussions, lesson plan activities

(will provide some farm items to supplement your sack lunch)

(bring change of clothes – shorts/t-shirt)

2:00 pm- 4:00 pm Tour of community and school gardens

June 24 , Thurs – Canning the goods

6:30am- Depart Athens (meeting place TBA)

7:30 am – arrive at Stephens County Cannery
Located on Eastonalle School Road, Eastonalle, Ga

7:30- 10:30 Preservation of food from the garden: canning and tour of cannery (bring Apron)

10:30- depart to school Stephens Co School

10:45 - 12:00 Implementation of Farm To School in Local Programs, Tour of Ag Ed site, pick up canned items and depart

Where to stay in Athens? http://www.travelmuse.com/hotels-list-athens-georgia-059-ga-us

Teachers Registered:
1. Tom Bell
2. Jay Borden