*UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE*

*OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY*

WASHINGTON, D.C. 20250

I am pleased to inform you that TOMORROW, June 3, 2010, USDA will be hosting
‘The National Summit of Rural America: A Dialogue for Renewing Promise’ on
the campus of Jefferson College in Hillsboro , Missouri.   The event will be
broadcast at www.usda.gov/live beginning at 10:00am EDT and throughout the
day.

The Summit will be an opportunity for rural Americans to share their vision
and ideas for creating a more prosperous and more promising future for rural
America.   Farmers, ranchers, and foresters from around the country, as well
as policymakers from all levels of government and community leaders will
discuss the key priorities and policies necessary to get rural America
growing again. Participants will have the opportunity to dialogue in a close
setting on a multitude of issues including creating new jobs in rural
America, improving rural infrastructure, improving future farm
competitiveness, developing new opportunities for small business, and
encouraging innovation in renewable energy.

This historic event will serve as a capstone to the Rural Tour USDA led
throughout the country last year, during which I visited more than 20 states
as part of a dialogue with rural residents about their vision for
revitalizing their communities.   It will also be a chance to connect USDA’s
key priorities and initiative to the communities we serve.   Again, we will
be broadcasting the Rural Summit proceedings live at www.usda.gov/live.  I
hope you’ll take the time to listen to some of the day’s events on our
webcast.  You can also read more about last year’s rural tour at the Rural
Tour Website <http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/ruraltour?navid=RURALTOUR>.

I appreciate your support for this important event.  And I appreciate your
dedication and support for all Rural Americans, through your service to the
Nation and to our Department.

Thanks,

Secretary Tom Vilsack

--