UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY

WASHINGTON, D.C. 20250

I am pleased to inform you that TOMORROW, June 3, 2010, USDA will be hosting ‘The National Summit of Rural America: A Dialogue for Renewing Promise’ on the campus of Jefferson College in Hillsboro , Missouri.   The event will be broadcast at www.usda.gov/live beginning at 10:00am EDT and throughout the day.

The Summit will be an opportunity for rural Americans to share their vision and ideas for creating a more prosperous and more promising future for rural America.   Farmers, ranchers, and foresters from around the country, as well as policymakers from all levels of government and community leaders will discuss the key priorities and policies necessary to get rural America growing again. Participants will have the opportunity to dialogue in a close setting on a multitude of issues including creating new jobs in rural America, improving rural infrastructure, improving future farm competitiveness, developing new opportunities for small business, and encouraging innovation in renewable energy.

This historic event will serve as a capstone to the Rural Tour USDA led throughout the country last year, during which I visited more than 20 states as part of a dialogue with rural residents about their vision for revitalizing their communities.   It will also be a chance to connect USDA’s key priorities and initiative to the communities we serve.   Again, we will be broadcasting the Rural Summit proceedings live at www.usda.gov/live.  I hope you’ll take the time to listen to some of the day’s events on our webcast.  You can also read more about last year’s rural tour at the Rural Tour Website.

I appreciate your support for this important event.  And I appreciate your dedication and support for all Rural Americans, through your service to the Nation and to our Department.

Thanks,

Secretary Tom Vilsack

--
Dr. Teri Hamlin