You and your students are invited to a Meats Training practice (please complete the online registration form) at UGA Animal & Dairy Science Building, Meats Lab (425 River Road, Athens, GA  30602) on Saturday, August 14th, 2010 at 9:00 am - 3:00 pm (we will break for lunch at noon).   New in 2010-2011 School year:   each area will have Area Meats Elimination CDE's.  This is a great opportunity for you & your students to get started in the right direction for this CDE.

As you know with livestock / meats contests - it is best to work when the product is available - there will be several beef carcasses / pork carcasses for practice/ training purposes.  Many thanks to Dr. Pringle, Dr. Stelzleni & grad students who have offered to conduct this training for Ag Education!

Other topics to be covered:

Beef Quality & Yield Grading
Placing of Beef  / Pork Carcass Classes
Placing of wholesale beef and pork cuts
Placing of retail beef, pork and lamb cuts

Please let me know if you plan to attend, please complete this online registration form to help me keep track of those who plan to attend.

Please bring the following items for yourself & each student:
clip board & paper or steno note pad
pencil
frock
hair net
warm jacket
hard hat
pants **no shorts
close toed shoes ***absolutely no sandals or flip flops

**If you don't have any of these items, please let me know - we will have some of these at the Meats Lab for you to use, but we always encourage you to bring your own.

Alicia Tomlinson, with One Less Thing, has offered to provide snacks during the day for you & your students.  She will also have some new resources available for purchase for teaching Meats Judging.
--
Christa Steinkamp
North Region - Area Livestock Teacher