I know the Georgia National Fair in Perry seems like a long way off but it will actually start in 8 weeks. Entering projects into the Georgia National Fair is a great way to meet the SAE part of our standards. This could also be a great way for your chapter to win money. The more items you enter, the more points you receive. Top chapter is $500 & plaque and 2nd is $250 & plaque. See the Georgia National Fair website for more information.
There is a lot available for your horticulture students at the fair. An incentive for your students is this is a great chance for them to win some individual prize money (all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons receive money). Each chapter is eligible to enter
- 5 Mini Horticulture Booths (no theme) Section chapter winner $100 & Plaque and Reserve Section winner $50 & Plaque
- 5 Research Horticulture Booths (no theme) Section chapter winner $100 & Plaque and Reserve Section winner $50 & Plaque
- 1 Large chapter Horticulture Booth (Theme - Farm to School) Section chapter winner $300 & Plaque and Reserve Section winner $200 & Plaque
- 25 Landscape Drawings - Section chapter winner $40 and Reserve Section winner $30
- 5 Live plants - Section chapter winner $40 and Reserve Section winner $30
- 10 Silk Flower Arrangements (Theme - Fall Harvest) Section chapter winner $40 and Reserve Section winner $30
Chapters may also enter teams for the ID contests at the fair. This is great practice for the area competitions. The fair also awards prize money and plaques and ribbons for the Top 2 Teams and Top 10 Individuals.
Jr and Sr Floriculture and Jr and Sr Nursery/ Landscape will be held on Saturday, October 9th. Check in starts at 8:00am and contest starts at 8:30 on the left (North) side of Reeves Arena. Students get into the fair for free if they are competing and enter through the North gate.
Floral Design Competition at the Fair will be on Saturday, October 9th with check in at 10:30 and contest starting at 11:00 in Heritage Hall. Each chapter is allowed to enter 2 students and students must bring their own materials, Cost of the design, including any accessories, must be between $15 and $25 based on current wholesale products. Prizes include Section winner $100 & Plaque and Reserve Section winner $50 & Plaque
All of these exhibits and contests must be registered on line at the Georgia National Fair website http://www.georgianationalfair.com/_fairresults/heritage_hall_programs.htm
Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!
Central Region Ag Education
cell - 478-973-4071
fax - 478-825-6980
PO Box 4060
1005 State University Drive
Fort Valley, GA 31030[log in to unmask]