Teachers,

I recently heard about the Growing Georgia website (www.growinggeorgia.com) when I met with Chip Blalock the other day. It is updated daily with news and information pertaining to Georgia agriculture. You can also subscribe on the site to receive daily updates by email.

Many schools require teachers to have an activating strategy at the beginning of class. In most of our Ag Ed lessons we call this a "mental set". This website would be a great tool to use as an activating strategy. If you have a projection system in your classroom, you could simply have a news article from this or other sites posted for students to read as they come into class. You could then follow this by a short class discussion. Although each day's news will not always pertain to your daily lesson, it will certainly keep students abreast of current topics in agriculture. This would also be an excellent student resource for FFA members competing in Extemporaneous Speaking or Discussion Meet.

I appreciate the job each of you are doing to make a positive impact on your students. Have a great day!

Lynn Barber
South Region Agricultural Education Coordinator
Georgia Department of Education
ABAC 34, 2802 Moore Hwy.
Tifton, GA 31794
229-386-3428