You have received this newsletter because you are a member of the NASAE listserv.
Please help us by passing this newsletter along to any new or pre-service teachers you know.

Having trouble viewing this message? View it online.

September 2010 - Establishing Expectations

And The Race is On!

As an early career teacher your days are likely filled with a multitude of tasks.  One task you would probably like to cross off your list is student discipline.  While this element in teaching never goes away entirely, it does get better with proper planning, execution, and consistency.  This month will focus on tools to help you address discipline issues, design expectations that are easy to implement and follow, and create a learning environment where students feel safe and are given the opportunity to learn.

Useful Posts on Communities of Practice

Check out these posts on establishing expectations and student discipline on NAAE's Communities of Practice (CoP).  CoP is the only online collaboration site for ag teachers, and it’s free and super simple to use.

·         Classroom Rewards

·         Snide Students

·         Effective Procedures

·         Rough Students

·         Chatty Students

Upcoming Dates to Remember

·         October 20-23 - National FFA Convention - Indianapolis, IN
     Stop by the NAAE Teacher's World Booth at the Indianapolis Convention Center

·         November 30-December 4 - NAAE/ACTE Convention, Las Vegas

·         March 24, 2011 - National Teach Ag Day

Great Reads

Conscious Classroom Management – Unlocking the Secrets of Great Teaching
Rick Smith

Idea of the Month

End each act of discipline on a positive note.

Get to know your NAAE Member Benefits

Because NAAE is a well respected organization, many affiliates provide discounts and opportunities unique to NAAE members.  Some rewards are automatic, while others, like the 15% Discount at Choice Hotels are available upon use.  Make the most of your NAAE membership by visiting our member benefits page for a complete list.

Meet Your NAAE Leaders

2009-2010 President
Mr. Ray Nash
Biggersville High School
Corinth, MS
Ag Teacher for 15 Years

Biggest benefit of NAAE membership :  Working with fellow teachers and allowing me to be an avenue to serve our profession that has provided me so much!

Favorite subject to teach

Plant Science

Favorite TV Shows

Any CSI or NCIS and Criminal Minds

Favorite CDE

Parliamentary Procedure

Favorite Fruit

Apple

Hobbies

Mississippi State Sporting Events (tailgating with friends)

Deer Hunting

Coaching my son's baseball team

What do you know now that you wish you had known as a first year teacher?  How to balance classroom, FFA and SAE more effectively so that every student gets equal opportunities.

What is one thing you try to do every day as an ag teacher? Ensure my students learn something that will make them a success in life.

Being an ag teacher is like...coaching a kid to hit or catch the ball for the first time and getting to witness the glow in his eyes when it pays off with a base hit or a game-ending out. Seeing students succeed –that’s what is it’s all about.

The National Teach Ag Campaign is a project of the National Council for Agricultural Education, led by the National Association of Agricultural Educators. For more information, visit the Teach Ag website.