Teachers,

Please see the message below concerning the Ethnobotanical Gardens/PALS program. If you are interested in participating or finding out more, please contact Ms. Payne.

Lynn Barber
South Region Agricultural Education Coordinator
Georgia Department of Education
ABAC 34, 2802 Moore Hwy.
Tifton, GA 31794
229-386-3428

----- Forwarded by Lynn Barber/SIA/DOE/GADOE on 09/22/2010 09:44 AM -----

09/22/2010 09:03 AM

cc
Subject
PALS partnership development

Dear Mr. Barber,

We invite your AgEd/FFA teachers to participate in developing a proposed statewide program, PALS supporting Ethnobotanical Gardens for Georgia Schools. A UGA/AgEd collaborative is developing  a Teacher Quality grant proposing a teacher training in June 2011 and program implementation the school year 2011-2012. The training will be held in Athens at the State Botanical Garden with a followup in South Georgia. PALS teachers will also network at Regional FFA meetings and summer camp. There are many outstanding FFA PALS partnerships in Georgia already, and we hope to expand the program by providing additional support for elementary school classrooms and teachers. We can assist AgEducation/FFA teacher teaming with elementary teachers.

Ethnobotany is simply the study of how peoples use plants. Ethnobotanical Gardens for Georgia Schools opens pathways for celebrating cultural diversity and global plant diversity. Each PALS partnership will develop their own plan that could include a wildlife habitat, container garden, community garden, Plant a Row for the Hungry Service Leaning, or others.  Many of the AgEd GPS lessons compliment elementary science standards.  The UGA collaborative will also work on building capacity from each community - Extension Services, Master Gardeners, garden clubs, etc. to assist teachers and summer garden care.

I look forward to hearing from you and interested AgEducation teachers. Please contact me for any questions.

Barbara Payne
Ethnobotanical Gardens for Georgia Schools
706-886-6644