With Thanksgiving and the Christmas season fast approaching, now is a good
time to conduct an FFA community service project. Through these type
projects you help your students realize the potential that is available
through gifts of service and help them live the last line of the FFA Motto:
*Living to Serve*.

If you havenít selected a project yet, here are a few ideas:

∑       Start a ďGlean TeamĒ. Contact local vegetable producers and let them
know that your students would be willing to harvest unused produce to donate
to local charities. At my former school we tried to do this twice each year.
Itís amazing how much produce a group of 20 excited FFA members can harvest
in an hour.

∑       Toys for underprivileged kids: Many chapters host an annual
Christmas party. One way to collect toys for underprivileged kids is to
charge your members admission to the party---except in this case the
admission price is one new/unopened toy. Your students can then take the
toys to whichever local charity distributes them.

∑       Although this one is not a local project, it certainly is
agriculturally relevant. Many aid groups such as Samaritanís Purse allow
donors to purchase goats, dairy cattle, fruit trees, and chicks so that
families in underdeveloped countries can become more self-sufficient. There
could be many good lessons to learn through this as it relates to
agricultural sustainability. If interested, their website is
https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/Giving/gift_catalog/

I know this is a busy time of year to add something new, but remember that
you should not be doing the work. Iíve found that the best service projects
we ever did were the ones in which I gave the students the opportunity to
lead. Get with your chapter leaders, put a committee in place and let them
go to work.

Have a great week!

Lynn Barber
South Region Agricultural Education Coordinator
Georgia Department of Education
ABAC 34, 2802 Moore Hwy.
Tifton, GA 31794
229-386-3428