On December 2, 2010 the House of Representatives passed S. 3307, the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. The bill will improve school meals, support farmers through Farm to School programs, address skyrocketing obesity rates, and feed more hungry children.

The legislation provides $40 million over five years in mandatory funding for farm-to-school progr ams, ensuring that more children are able to eat local, healthy produce, create school gardens, and use more local foods. "By connecting schools with local farmers, the bill creates a win-win for our nation's children and farmers and builds on a proven method of combating childhood obesity. We congratulate Congress for providing tens of millions of dollars for Farm to School programs," stated Marion Kalb, co-director of the National Farm to School Network.

The National Farm to School Network was formed to support community-based food systems, strengthen family farms, and improve student health by reducing childhood obesity. Regional Lead Agencies in eight regions of the country have been established to lead Farm to School efforts in the states that comprise the regions.

Learn how you and your school can be a part of Farm to School.

Friday Jan 14th - 10:30 a.m. Farm to School Breakout Session at GVATA MidWinter Conference Mobley Hall - come join us!

www.farmtoschool.org
Dr. Teri Hamlin
North Region Agriculture Education
Georgia Department of Education