After attending the NAAE conference this past week, I was made aware of a competition called The DuPont Challenge.  DuPont is a huge supporter of Agriscience Education.

***You could use this contest as part of your agriscience curriculum, you could partner with your English teachers and work on this project together, You could incorporate this into your Agriscience Fair Projects, or even use this as a Prepared Speech for competition.  They said the participation in this contest has been greatly decreasing each year and they give away awesome prizes including money for your classroom and free trips to Disney!! (see bottom for complete list of prizes)

FREE GIVEAWAYS - In the spirit of giving, they will choose a different science classroom (grades 7-12) each weekday from November 22 through December 24 to receive great prizes, including a trip for your class to a Challenger Center. Sign up at this link http://thechallenge.dupont.com/teachers/giveaways.php and you could be one of these lucky winners!

The DuPont Challenge is a agriscience/science essay competition.  The DuPont ChallengeŠ has two primary objectives: to help increase science literacy among students and to motivate them to excel communicating scientific ideas. Students may write a 700 to 1,000-word essay discussing a scientific discovery, theory, event, or technological application that has captured their interest. We invite and encourage you to take part in our 25th year by bringing The DuPont ChallengeŠ into your classroom, and giving your students the opportunity to benefit from this experience.
For official rules and entry for go to the following link -  http://thechallenge.dupont.com/rules/index.php

 PRIZES!!!

JUNIOR DIVISION (Grades 7, 8, and 9)

SENIOR DIVISION (Grades 10, 11, and 12)

First Place in each division

First Place Sponsoring Teacher: $500 Grant

Second Place in each division

Second Place Sponsoring Teacher: $500 Grant

Third Place in each division

Third Place Sponsoring Teacher: $250 Grant

Honorable Mentions in each division

--
Melissa Riley
Central Region Ag Education

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."