I realize that the Area 1 and 2 Agricultural Communications CDEs have not happened yet, but for those planning to participate, I want to share the following information. There is a tight turn around between the Area 1 and 2 events and the state event. Those advancing will need this information. The area CDE will not contain all parts of the state CDE, so those advancing will need to be aware of how to prepare for the state CDE. Specifically, there is a team Communications Proposal due for the teams that qualify for the state CDE. You will see that the proposal is due to me by March 1. That is just a couple of weeks after your area event. Please be sure that you have that on your radar as you prepare for the area CDE. For more information about how the area CDE will be handled, contact Blane Marable in the North Region office. The specifics of how the state CDE will be handled are below.

The state Ag Communications CDE will take place on Saturday, March 19, as part of Super Saturday at the FFA/FCCLA Center in Covington. This year I am serving as Superintendent of the state Agricultural Communications CDE, so I will be sharing information with those who qualify between now and Super Saturday.

Attached are two items, 1) the state guidelines for the Ag Communications CDE; and 2) the national guidelines for the Ag Communications CDE. I have attached both because there are places in our state guidelines that are vague and simply make reference to the national guidelines. Specifically, the information that you will need concerning your team's Communications Proposal, and the presentation are in the national CDE guidelines. I have highlighted specific areas of the national guidelines, and encourage you to pay particular attention to those, as they are the guidelines we will use for your written proposals and your group presentations. Also included in the national guidelines are the score cards for the Proposal and the Presentation. As you read the national CDE guidelines, you will see mention of individual practicum, students will NOT do individual practicum at the state CDE.

I realize that each area CDE may have been handled differently and may have involved different portions of the CDE. So that we are all on the same page, please read below the process that we will follow for the state Ag Communications CDE.

Communications Proposal - Each team is expected to complete a communications proposal based on the selected theme for the year. The theme for 2011 is FFA Recruiting & Educational Activities. Specific details concerning the make-up of the proposal and the score card used to evaluate the proposal can be found in the national CDE guidelines. Five (5) copies of each team's proposal are due to the state CDE superintendent no later than March 1. You can mail them to me at the address below.

Ben Lastly
Georgia FFA
316 Poultry Science - UGA
Athens, GA 30602

Editing Quiz - All five members of every team will complete an editing quiz that contains 25 errors. The specifics are spelled out in both the state and national CDE guidelines. Students can NOT use a style guide during the quiz. Copies of old Editing Quizzes can be found on the Georgia Agricultural Education website.

Communications Quiz - All five team members will complete a quiz that covers basic elements important to the skill areas of journalistic writing and graphic design. Five questions will be written for each segment, which includes broadcast, public relations, news, visuals and ethics of communication. Team members will NOT be able to use the style manual or a dictionary during the exercise. I encourage you to pay close attention to the References section of the state and national CDE guidelines as your students prepare for this quiz.  Copies of old Communications Quizzes can be found on the Georgia Agricultural Education website.

Presentation - Each team will make a presentation about their proposal to a group of judges. Specific details about the contents of the presentation can be found in the national CDE guidelines, as can a copy of the presentation score card. At the state CDE, all teams will be expected to give a presentation. Presentations will be divided into two separate heats (6 teams in one heat, and 6 teams in the other heat).

Scoring of the state CDE is outlined in the state CDE guidelines. A top four will be chosen using a combination of editing quiz scores (all team members), communications quiz scores (all team members), proposal score and presentation score. Two teams from each heat will advance to the Final Four. The four teams advancing to the Finals will give a second presentation. The final rankings will be tallied using a combined score of both quizzes (all team members) the proposal, and the finals presentation.

If you have any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me via email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, in the office at (706) 552-4456 or on my cell at (706) 410-4604. Good luck.

Ben

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association