I thought this might be of interest to you or some tree farmers in your area.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Judy Couch <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Subject: UPDATE - Workshops on Longleaf Pine Management

These workshops have been approved for 5 CFE and 5 CLE credit hours.

TO: GFA Members

Below you will find an announcement for a series of workshops on Longleaf Pine management sponsored jointly by the Georgia Forestry Commission and The Longleaf Alliance. I’m confident that a number of GFA members will find this opportunity of interest. Please distribute the meetings schedule to your friends and clients.

Steve

Longleaf Workshop

The Longleaf Alliance, in conjunction with the Georgia Forestry Commission, is conducting 6 technical workshops for landowners , agency personnel , and private natural resource professionals such as consultants, industry employees, TIMO’s, REITS and NGO’s throughout Georgia. Whether you are considering longleaf restoration on your land, consult with those that do, or just want to learn more about this interesting part of our cultural and natural heritage, these workshops are for you!

February 8:                Thomaston, GA.  Location:  The Rock Ranch.  5020 Barnesville Highway.

February 9:                Americus, GA.  Location:  Georgia Southwestern State University.  800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive.  Building 7:  Student Success Center.  Rooms:  2413 and 2417

February 10:              Valdosta, GA.  Location:  Wiregrass Georgia Technical College.  4089 Val Tech Road.  Conference Center / Brooks Hall Building.

February 22:              Statesboro, GA.  Location:  FSA Service Center Office / Bulloch County Farm Service Agency.  151 Langston Chapel Road.

February 23:              Lyons, GA.  Location:  Vidalia Onion and Vegetable Research Center.  8163 Hwy 178, Lyons, GA.

February 24:              Waycross, GA.  Location:  Waycross College.  2001 South Georgia Parkway.  Auditorium in Building C.

Example of Topics:

Introducing Fire into Young Longleaf Stands,

Native Seed Mixes including Partridge Pea Complications,

Insects & Diseases,

Herbaceous Release,

Inter-planting Longleaf,

Tree Spacing in Relation to Tree/Wood Quality and Pine Straw,

Wildlife Habitat,

Cost-share / Incentive Programs for Longleaf

Go to this website for addition information, agendas & directions.
  www.longleafalliance.org

RSVP:

Call or email Vickie at:

Cost:
$20 at the door - includes lunch!

Times:
Registration 8:30 - Finish up by 4:30

Sponsored By:

Georgia Forestry Commission

The Longleaf Alliance

F.B. Whitfield Farms and Nursery

Meeks’ Farms and Nursery, Inc.

International Forest Company

Steve McWilliams

Executive Vice President

GEORGIA FORESTRY ASSOCIATION

PO Box 1217

551 N Frontage road

Forsyth, GA 31029

478.992.8110 (o)

478.992.8109 (f)

Forests. We'd Miss Them If They Were Gone.

NOTICE: It is O.K. to print this email. The use of paper and other products derived from trees, in addition to providing thousands of Georgia jobs,  promotes the planting, health and sustainable management of forests, which in turn leads to more and cleaner water, better air to breathe, abundant wildlife and beautiful landscapes.

--
John Allen Bailey
Central Region Forestry Teacher