As I was perusing the Augusta Chronicle last night, I came across an article
in the Business Section about Forestry that I thought would be good to share
with your Forestry students to help them see the need for Forestry in
Georgia.  The title of the article is *Forests valued at $38 billion.*  The
article written by Walter C. Jones states that according to a recent study
by the UGA, the annual *environmental* *value* of Georgia's private forest
land is $37.6 billion.  This is the first attempt to put a dollar figure on
the environmental benefits of timber according to the president of the
Georgia Forestry Association, Steve McWilliams.  Factors used in the study
were water filtration, carbon storage, wildlife habitat, and aesthetics. It
took three years for the Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources to
come up with the figures for the 22 million acres of privately owned
timberland in Georgia which is 92 percent of the total. This is the biggest
amount of privately owned timber in any state in the nation. Gov. Deal said
that considering this along with the $28 billion annual value of Georgia's
wood-products industry, Georgia should exploit its timberland strengths.  He
also said that he wanted Georgia to be the leader in the production of
biomass.

--
John Allen Bailey
Central Region Forestry Teacher