The state FFA proficiency award program is used recognize students who have developed strong Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) programs. This year Georgia has entries in all 47 of the nationally sponsored FFA proficiency award categories. Following regional judging, the state finalists in each category were announced. A list of the state finalists is attached to this email.

If you have students selected as state proficiency finalists, please be sure to review this information carefully. This is your notification of the process used to select our state winner.

Dr. D.J. Sheppard is our Proficiency Award superintendent again this year. Dr. Sheppard brings a tremendous track record as a former agricultural education teacher and member of the state AgEd staff. I am excited to have him manning this post for us again. You should feel free to contact either Dr. Sheppard or me if you have any questions about the proficiency interview process between now and the Convention.

State Proficiency Award process
* All state finalist proficiency applications have been scored by a panel of current and retired agricultural education teachers.
* Those applications scores will be used to determine an application rank for each application.
* All state proficiency finalists will have the opportunity to interview with a panel of judges on Thursday, April 28, in Macon.
* Interview scores will be used to determine an interview rank.
* The interview rank will be combined with the application rank to get an overall ranking.
* Proficiency Award results will be announced on stage during the 3rd general session of the State Convention. The session begins at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, April 29. Each state finalist and one advisor should plan to go across stage for the announcement of winners.

Please see the attached document titled "Proficiency Interview Information for Advisors 2011" for a specific description of the interview process.

Finally, please review the attached interview schedule. In order to get every finalist interviewed in a timely manner, it will be vital that we honor this schedule. We have done our best to make accommodations for students who are interviewing in two categories. Please review this agenda and be sure that you are clear when your student(s) interview. All finalists are expected to show up in Macon to interview. Advisors who have a finalist who could experience difficulty attending due to military service or being enrolled in college in another state, should contact Dr. Sheppard or me no later than this Friday, April 8.

Thanks and congratulations on the honor of having a state proficiency finalist!

Ben

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association