Fellow Agricultural Education Teachers,
As you are aware, the 83rd State FFA Convention is taking place next week
(April 28-30).  The convention continues to grow from year to year, and we
anticipate another successful event in 2011. Your preparation,
participation, and assistance are more critical now than ever before.

Attached you will find very important assignments regarding courtesy
corps, the state convention committee, and advisor responsibilities during
the convention.  The State Convention is a life changing experience for
many of the young people involved.  Your active involvement will play a
vital role in making this positive difference.  I realize this is a very
busy time of year, but please take the time to read the following
information and view the attachments carefully.

If for any reason you will be unable to fulfill any of the
responsibilities to which you are assigned at the convention, please
notify Ben Lastly, FFA Executive Secretary at 706-552-4456 immediately.

2011 State FFA Convention Reminders
Registration
Registration was due to the State FFA Convention Registration office in
Athens on April 8, 2011. If you have not submitted your registration at
this time, please plan to register onsite in Macon. Remember that the fee
to register onsite is $35 per person. Everyone planning to attend the
convention must be registered. Due to security reasons, it is very
important that everyone is wearing an official State FFA Convention button
or name tag during the convention. Registration for the convention will be
held from 12:00--6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 in the Arena
Pre-Function.  Please have copies of the Medical Authorization form
completed prior to leaving school.

Available at the registration desk will be concert tickets for $20 each,
and copies of the 2011 FFA Theme DVD (Infinite Potential) for $5 each.

Medical Authorization Form
Please find attached a medical authorization form. Each student who
registers for the convention will be required to have a form on file with
the convention registration team. The teacher should also maintain a copy
for school files. Please complete and duplicate the form prior to leaving
school. It is not necessary to turn the medical forms in at the
registration desk; We simply ask that you have them with you in Macon so
that should an accident occur, we have the necessary medical information
for every student.
Official Dress
Prior to leaving your school please make sure that all members have
complete official dress for the entire convention. It is especially
important for those members who will be receiving awards and/or degrees to
be in complete and proper official FFA dress. Please address this issue
with your students as it relates to wearing blue jeans, khakis, white
socks, hats, and tennis shoes. It is our desire to maintain convention
dress at a high level of professionalism. This includes the Career Show.
When your students are at the Convention Center, please be sure that they
portray the professional image of the state FFA convention.
Appropriate Dress of Adults
The appropriate dress for teachers and others who attend the convention is
professional dress. This includes coats and ties for gentlemen and a
dress, nice pants suit, or skirt and blouse for ladies. Please help us
maintain this standard of professionalism during the convention.
Courtesy Corps
The Courtesy Corps has been organized to provide additional assistance and
direction for the convention. The Courtesy Corps will meet with assigned
students and teachers at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 in the Arena. All
teachers assigned duties and responsibilities should be in attendance to
review the requirements and duties of the Courtesy Corp. All other
teachers are highly encouraged to be in attendance. As a verification
measure, please check the attached Courtesy Corps assignment sheet to
determine if one of your members is assigned.
Advisor Roles and Responsibilities - Assignment Sheet
 Advisor responsibilities for convention are included with the courtesy
corps attachment.  Please read them carefully and familiarize yourself
with your responsibilities during the convention.  If you will not be able
to fulfill your responsibility for any reason, please let Ben Lastly know
immediately. As well as assigned responsibilities, please be aware of what
is happening around you, adopt a neighborhood watch manner of thinking,
and maintain a security watch at all times. With your cooperation and
help, the convention will be a great experience for everyone involved.
Every teacher on this list should attend the Courtesy Corps meeting.
Food Drive
Please remember to bring food for the FFA Convention Food Drive.  All food
can be dropped off on Thursday at the south side entrance of the Edgar
Wilson Convention Center (facing I-16) on Thursday afternoon from 1:00
p.m. ? 5:00 p.m. There will be a truck from the Food Bank parked outside
the Convention Center. Please place your food items in the truck to have
them counted and checked in. All food collected will go to the Middle
Georgia Community Food Bank. Again this year we ask that you make an
effort to bring jars of peanut butter!
State FFA Convention Committee
Please review the attached State Convention Committee assignments. Insure
that students participate in their committee meeting Friday at 12:30 p.m.
in  Room 324.
State Staff Assignments
If you need information about a specific activity at the Convention, or
need to know who to contact about a particular situation, please be aware
of the following staff assignments and superintendent roles.
Proficiency Interviews ? Dr. D.J. Sheppard
Star Interviews ? David Turner
CDEs ? Von Peavy
Sr. Prepared Public Speaking ? John Wilkinson
Jr. Prepared Public Speaking ? Sidney Bell
Creed Speaking ? Melissa Riley
Extemporaneous Speaking ? Dr. Teri Hamlin
FFA Quiz ? Eddie McKie
Ag Sales ? John Allen Bailey
Discussion Meet ? Tommy Waldrop
Marketing Plan ? Ricky Wheeler
Agriscience Fair ? Christa Steinkamp
Woodworking ?Kevin Jump
Alumni Convention ? Stan Mitchell

Please keep in mind that we all have a responsibility for the success of
the convention and not just a responsibility to carry out the duties we
are assigned. This is especially true in managing and supervising our own
students as well as providing a safe and secure environment for all
students. Everyone should join together to see that students are where
they should be when they should be. Simply checking to see that your
students are in the convention hall and are seated and acting
appropriately will go a long way in improving the overall success of the
convention. Also, teachers should be in attendance in the convention hall
to assist with crowd control, to greet guests, and to maintain a safe
environment for all students. All teachers should help identify special
guests and assist them in getting to the correct location.

Thanks again for everything that you do to provide opportunities for your
students. Lets have a GREAT Convention!!!

John (Chip) Bridges
Program Manager, Agricultural Education
Georgia Department of Education
1752 Twin Towers East