Fellow Agricultural Education Teachers,
As you are aware, the 83rd State FFA Convention is taking place next week (April 28-30).  The convention continues to grow from year to year, and we anticipate another successful event in 2011. Your preparation, participation, and assistance are more critical now than ever before.

Attached you will find very important assignments regarding courtesy corps, the state convention committee, and advisor responsibilities during the convention.  The State Convention is a life changing experience for many of the young people involved.  Your active involvement will play a vital role in making this positive difference.  I realize this is a very busy time of year, but please take the time to read the following information and view the attachments carefully.

If for any reason you will be unable to fulfill any of the responsibilities to which you are assigned at the convention, please notify Ben Lastly, FFA Executive Secretary at 706-552-4456 immediately.

2011 State FFA Convention Reminders
Registration was due to the State FFA Convention Registration office in Athens on April 8, 2011. If you have not submitted your registration at this time, please plan to register onsite in Macon. Remember that the fee to register onsite is $35 per person. Everyone planning to attend the convention must be registered. Due to security reasons, it is very important that everyone is wearing an official State FFA Convention button or name tag during the convention. Registration for the convention will be held from 12:00--6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 in the Arena Pre-Function.  Please have copies of the Medical Authorization form completed prior to leaving school.

Available at the registration desk will be concert tickets for $20 each, and copies of the 2011 FFA Theme DVD (Infinite Potential) for $5 each.

  Please find attached a medical authorization form. Each student who registers for the convention will be required to have a form on file with the convention registration team. The teacher should also maintain a copy for school files. Please complete and duplicate the form prior to leaving school. It is not necessary to turn the medical forms in at the registration desk; We simply ask that you have them with you in Macon so that should an accident occur, we have the necessary medical information for every student. Prior to leaving your school please make sure that all members have complete official dress for the entire convention. It is especially important for those members who will be receiving awards and/or degrees to be in complete and proper official FFA dress. Please address this issue with your students as it relates to wearing blue jeans, khakis, white socks, hats, and tennis shoes. It is our desire to maintain convention dress at a high level of professionalism. This includes the Career Show. When your students are at the Convention Center, please be sure that they portray the professional image of the state FFA convention. The appropriate dress for teachers and others who attend the convention is professional dress. This includes coats and ties for gentlemen and a dress, nice pants suit, or skirt and blouse for ladies. Please help us maintain this standard of professionalism during the convention. The Courtesy Corps has been organized to provide additional assistance and direction for the convention. The Courtesy Corps will meet with assigned students and teachers at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 in the Arena. All teachers assigned duties and responsibilities should be in attendance to review the requirements and duties of the Courtesy Corp. All other teachers are highly encouraged to be in attendance. As a verification measure, please check the attached Courtesy Corps assignment sheet to determine if one of your members is assigned.  Advisor responsibilities for convention are included with the courtesy corps attachment.  Please read them carefully and familiarize yourself with your responsibilities during the convention.  If you will not be able to fulfill your responsibility for any reason, please let Ben Lastly know immediately. As well as assigned responsibilities, please be aware of what is happening around you, adopt a neighborhood watch manner of thinking, and maintain a security watch at all times. With your cooperation and help, the convention will be a great experience for everyone involved. Every teacher on this list should attend the Courtesy Corps meeting. Please remember to bring food for the FFA Convention Food Drive.  All food can be dropped off on Thursday at the south side entrance of the Edgar Wilson Convention Center (facing I-16) on Thursday afternoon from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. There will be a truck from the Food Bank parked outside the Convention Center. Please place your food items in the truck to have them counted and checked in. All food collected will go to the Middle Georgia Community Food Bank. Again this year we ask that you make an effort to bring jars of peanut butter! Please review the attached State Convention Committee assignments. Insure that students participate in their committee meeting Friday at 12:30 p.m. in  Room 324. If you need information about a specific activity at the Convention, or need to know who to contact about a particular situation, please be aware of the following staff assignments and superintendent roles.
Proficiency Interviews
– Dr. D.J. Sheppard

Star Interviews
– David Turner

CDEs
– Von Peavy

Sr. Prepared Public Speaking
– John Wilkinson

Jr. Prepared Public Speaking
– Sidney Bell

Creed Speaking
– Melissa Riley

Extemporaneous Speaking
– Dr. Teri Hamlin

FFA Quiz
– Eddie McKie

Ag Sales
– John Allen Bailey

Discussion Meet
– Tommy Waldrop

Marketing Plan
– Ricky Wheeler

Agriscience Fair
– Christa Steinkamp

Woodworking
–Kevin Jump

Alumni Convention
– Stan Mitchell

Please keep in mind that we all have a responsibility for the success of the convention and not just a responsibility to carry out the duties we are assigned. This is especially true in managing and supervising our own students as well as providing a safe and secure environment for all students. Everyone should join together to see that students are where they should be when they should be. Simply checking to see that your students are in the convention hall and are seated and acting appropriately will go a long way in improving the overall success of the convention. Also, teachers should be in attendance in the convention hall to assist with crowd control, to greet guests, and to maintain a safe environment for all students. All teachers should help identify special guests and assist them in getting to the correct location.

Thanks again for everything that you do to provide opportunities for your students. Lets have a GREAT Convention!!!

John (Chip) Bridges
Program Manager, Agricultural Education
Georgia Department of Education
1752 Twin Towers East