I have had several emails and phone calls from Teachers and Chapters
interested in doing something to help the victims of last weeks tornadoes
that swept through several States.  The North Region is working through the
Ridgeland High FFA chapter to put together some back packs for their
surrounding areas. This effort targets the most vulnerable of all victims,
the children. The "Bedtime Backpacks" initiative is aimed at bringing some
sort of comfort to the children who have lost their homes and belongings as
a result of the storms.

I think this is a wonderful opportunity to instill in our students how
important it is to come to the aid of those in need and to showcase our
commitment to serving our extended communities. After talking with Bill
Waldrep on his way to Oklahoma for National Soil Judging, he said that we
really need to do something for the folks of Alabama.  I immediately thought
of what the folks at Ridgeland are doing to help and I know we can make an
impact as well.

I am asking that each FFA Chapter attending the Area Awards Ceremony next
week bring a backpack to donate to the relief effort. Please encourage your
students to participate and fulfill our motto of "living to serve". This
should give us all some great "teaching moments". Be sure to include a card
or letter in your backpack indicating where it came from, some words of
encouragement, and have it signed by your students or Officer Team. The
backpacks will be collected at the banquets and delivered to Red Cross for
distribution in the Western part of Alabama and Eastern part of Mississippi.

Here are the details. Please call if you have any questions.

"Bedtime Backpacks"

Items for backpacks:

New Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Pajamas, New Underwear, Childrens books,
Coloring books, pencils, pens, crayons, Stuffed animals

Any other items you can think of.

Please be sure to tag them for a boy or girl to make distribution easier.
If you want to bring more than one please do.  The more you bring, the more
lives will be impacted.

Thanks for your help in advance

-
Chris Corzine