Good Morning North Region,
I have had several emails from Teachers and Chapters interested in doing something to help the victims of last weeks tornadoes that swept through a large part of our State. As you know, several of our own schools of North Region and their communities were hit hard. Ridgeland High School in Catoosa County was one of these schools. Peter Davis and Wendy Matteson contacted me about an opportunity to help that their Ridgeland FFA Chapter is participating in and asked that we extend this opportunity across all of North Region. This effort targets the most vulnerable of all victims, the children. The "Bedtime Backpacks" initiative is aimed at bringing some sort of comfort to the children who have lost their homes and belongings as a result of the storms.
I think this is a wonderful opportunity to instill in our students how important it is to come to the aid of those in need and to showcase our commitment to serving our immediate and extended communities.
I†am asking that each FFA Chapter attending the Area Banquets next week bring a backpack to donate to the relief effort. Please encourage your students to participate and fulfill our motto of "living to serve". This should give us all some great "teaching moments". Be sure to include a card or letter in your backpack indicating where it came from and have it signed by your students or Officer Teams. The backpacks will be collected at the banquets and delivered to Ridgeland High School.
Here are the details. Please call if you have any questions.
Stan

"Bedtime Backpacks"

"Bedtime Backpacks" is an idea that an Alabama hospital NICU unit is doing to help those impacted by the tornados. The Ridgeland FFA Officers thought this would be a great way to help our community and others in the surrounding communities that were devastated by recent storms. Therefore, Ridgeland High School FFA, TSA, RHS Cheerleaders, FBLA, FCCLA, Leo club, along with others, are partnering together to bring comfort to a childís bedtime by providing them with a backpack containing items to help them feel better about bedtime. Starting tomorrow, you may drop these backpacks off in the Agricultural Department, room 427 of Ridgeland High School and then they will be distributed to the Red Cross and other agencies that are helping with disaster relief. Please label the backpack boy or girl and age range of child. Thank you so much for your help.

Items for backpacks:

New Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Pajamas