**

*It's National Farm to School Month <http://www.farmtoschoolmonth.org/>!! *

*Share the link with everyone you know looking for great F2S resources to
help promote their programs.

Please send photos and let me know of your schools activities related to
Farm to School events. *

*October is National Farm to School Month*
Small fingers planting turnip seeds during science class. Locally grown
greens, tomatoes and snap peas on the cafeteria salad bar. A classroom visit
from everyone’s favorite strawberry farmer to celebrate the spring harvest
and sample sweet, red fruit. October is National Farm to School Month, a
time to celebrate the connections that are happening all over the country
between schools and local food!

*What is Farm to School Month?*
In November 2010, Congress approved a resolution introduced by
Representative Rush Holt (NJ) to officially designate October as National
Farm to School Month. The passage of House Resolution 1655 demonstrates the
growing importance and role of Farm to School programs as a means to improve
child nutrition, support local economies and educate children about the
origins of food. Learn more about Farm to School
here.<http://www.farmtoschoolmonth.org/?p=14>

*How can I celebrate Farm to School Month? Bring a farmer or chef to school!
*
To celebrate the first National Farm to School Month, schools across the
country will be inviting farmers and chefs to visit their school during the
month of October. If you need help finding a chef or farmer in your area or
advice about organizing an event, contact your National Farm to School
Network State Lead. <http://www.farmtoschool.org/states.php>

But whether you are a food service professional, a farmer, a teacher or a
food-loving family, there are plenty of ways to celebrate and get involved:

   - Visit our resource page <http://www.farmtoschoolmonth.org/?p=6>for a
   list of ideas and other materials to help you spread the word in your
   community.
   - Visit our contact page <http://www.farmtoschoolmonth.org/?p=10> to find
   a program in your area or to connect with advocates working on the national
   level.
   - Our shop has Farm to School Month merchandise to help you spread the
   word and celebrate. <http://www.farmtoschoolmonth.org/?p=35>

--
Dr. Teri Hamlin
North Region Agriculture Education