You are invited to an overnight Livestock Judging Training at the Georgia FFA-FCCLA Center on Friday, November 4th & Saturday, November 5th, 2011.  This will be in conjunction with a CTAERN Livestock Judging Training for teachers (Ag teachers should also register through CTAERN to earn PLU credit - should be posted soon on CTAERN.org).  No charge for teachers as long as you are registered through CTAERN and bring a team.  Student cost is $45.00 per person (includes T Shirt, lodging for one night at the FFA Center, dinner, breakfast, and lunch.  Please complete the online registration by Friday, October 28th.

Please make all payments to: North Region FFA, 204 Four Towers - UGA, Athens, GA  30602, (Attn:  Christa Steinkamp). All payments are due the by check in at the camp.

Mr. Jary Douglas will be the workshop instructor (along with members of the UGA Livestock Judging Team).  You will have the opportunity to learn (along with your students) up to date terminology & effective reason format., as well as hear judging critique on each class.   You will also receive a judging manual from the UGA Livestock Judging team including terminology & reasons information.

Below is a brief overview of the tentative schedule:

Friday afternoon, we will examine terminology & placing criteria for each species.  Saturday morning, we will evaluate live classes of livestock (breeding heifers, breeding ewes, market lambs, market hogs, and breeding gilts).  We will rotate through classes in groups - allowing time for judges critique on each class - with suggestions for completing reasons during class rotation.  Saturday afternoon - your students will have the opportunity to practice reasons.  The weather was very cold last year & we will most likely be spending a good deal of time outside judging classes.  Please make sure your students bring warm clothes - dress like they will be in the deer stand for several hours, boots, extra socks, long underwear, hats, gloves, jackets, lined coveralls, etc.   They should bring clip boards and pencils.

Please contact me if you have any questions

Tentative Schedule
Friday, November 4
5:00 p.m. - Orientation
6:00 p.m. - Supper
7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. - Species reasons terminology
9:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Break
9:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. - Species Reasons terminology
11:00 p.m. Lights out

Saturday, November 5
7:00 a.m. - Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - Judging Classes