What supplies do you need for spring greenhouse crops?
There should be a minimum of 280 plants in a 288 plug tray
if you transplant plugs into the recommended Jumbo 606 cell inserts (36 plants per flat) you will end up with about 7-8 flats of plants per tray order
10" Baskets: 5 plugs / basket: Easy Wave Petunia, Impatiens
One rooted liner per 4" or 6" pot.
4" pot: Zinnia, Lantana, Verbena, Mex Heather, New Guinea, Double Impatiens, Blue Dase, Scaveola, Blue Salvia, Ajuga, Coreopsis, Dianthus, Echinacea, Gaura, Gaillardia, Rudbeckia, Phlox, Salvia, Hypericulm, Herbs
6" pot: Pennisetum, Coleus, Geraniums, Sweet Potato
606 Jumbo Insert (100 per case) and the TFI Web flats (tray that holds the insert), 4", 6" green containers, 10" green hanging baskets
soil recommendation: Fafard 3-B Mix, Metro 360 (3 cu ft bag)
note: 1 three cuft bag of Fafard 3-B mix will fill 18 flats, 170 four inch pots, 45 six inch pots
Fertilizer: 13-2-13 Plug Special Peters Water Soluble (25 lb bag)
Fungicide: Terracolor or Subdue
after your plants have been transplanted and growing for a week or two drench their soil with fungicide
Marathon for whiteflies, aphids and other sucking insects
Conserve for thrips, leafminer and worms
Safer Soap or Sun Spray
Finale: used to control weeds in greenhouse
Roundup: control weeds outside greenhouse
Disinfectants: Green-Shield, Physan 20, and Triathlon, hydrogen dioxide (ZeroTol, Oxidate), chlorine dioxide (Selectrocide) and chlorine bleach. All these products have different properties. If possible, disinfectants should be used on a routine basis both as part of a pre-crop clean-up program and during the cropping cycle these chemical can also be use in your evaporative cooling system to kill microbial slimes
GreenClean: granular product that is used to kill algae, fungi, and disinfect greenhouse floors and benches. It will also raise the pH level in the soil under benches, making it harder for weed seeds to germinate.
Misc. Items that you should have:
1. 5" plastic stick labels and marking pens are a must have in the greenhouse
2. Water Hoses, I have found the Swan Soft & Supple Hose to hold up best in the wear and tear of greenhouse use
3. Fogg- it Mist Nozzles
4. Water Shut Offs ( Drams 300 brass) stay away from the plastic ones
5. Water Breaker: the PL 100 is a great "soft throw" water breaker
6. Water Wands: get a couple is several lengths (available in 12", 16", 24", 36")
7. Pesticide Application Posting Sign (must be posted anytime your are spraying or fumigating the greenhouse)
8. Safety gear for you and your students
9. Min/Max Thermometer
10. Sprayers that are clearly marked for Herbicides and Insecticide use.
Nursery License: has everyone reapplied for their license this year???
It is free and required if you are selling plants out of the greenhouse
As soon as you get your new license, laminate it and hang it in the greenhouse.
If you do not have an application, call 404-651-9486 (Ga Dept of Agriculture).
Plant Protection Agents will be stopping by to inspect your facilities