FYI -- a couple of weeks ago I sent you an e-mail regarding concerns over
the new policies from the U.S. Department of Labor regarding the
regulations for agricultural workers and how that may impact students with
SAE (livestock in particular) projects.

This is an update on that issue. If you would consider taking that
original e-mail I sent you, and the information in this e-mail, and then
consider formulating a comment or letter to the U.S. Department of Labor
voicing your concerns about this change in policy -- I would encourage
that effort.

Please call me if you have any questions or concerns -- or if you have any
other advice on how we as a State Ag-Ed program should proceed.

As always, I want to remember to express my sincere appreciation for all
you do -- and let you know how much I respect the great work you are doing
for students in Agricultural Education and the future of Agriculture in
general.

John (Chip) Bridges
Program Manager, Agricultural Education
Georgia Department of Education
1752 Twin Towers East
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: 404.657.8311
Fax: 770.344.4411
email: [log in to unmask]

----- Forwarded by John Bridges/SIA/DOE/GADOE on 10/27/2011 12:54 PM -----

"Jackman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
10/27/2011 12:25 PM

"U.S. Ag Ed Listserv" <[log in to unmask]>, NASAE Main Listserv
<[log in to unmask]>, AAAE Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
cc

Subject
Extended Comment Period for NPRM Addressing Child Labor in Agriculture

The comment period for the U.S. Department of Labor?s Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking (NPRM) addressing child labor in agriculture has been extended
to December 1, 2011.

This extension will allow us to spend considerable time on this issue at
the upcoming NAAE/ACTE convention in St. Louis, November 15-19.  At the
convention, we will have specific suggestions for individuals and
organizations to provide comments to the Department of Labor on this
important matter.  A representative from each state needs to be prepared
to take information provided at the convention back to his/her respective
state and gets dozens, if not hundreds, of comments sent in to the
Department of Labor.

For those who will not attend the NAAE/ACTE convention, we will post
related information to the ag ed listservs and the Advocacy community on
NAAE?s Communities of Practice following the convention.

It is also critical that our state teams ag ed collaborate and coordinate
with their respective state Farm Bureau Federations on this.  The American
Farm Bureau and many state Farm Bureaus are very involved in these
negotiations.  So, for those of you who have state ag ed leadership
responsibilities -- state ag ed association officers, state advocacy
leaders, state staff, teacher educators, state FFA alumni leaders, state
FFA foundation staff, ag industry leaders, and so forth (your state team
ag ed) -- please reach out to your state Farm Bureau contact persons and
begin to coordinate messaging regarding the NPRM from your state.  I
suggest you make these contacts immediately (prior to the NAAE/ACTE
convention) and develop a communications plan for your state.

It will be very important for our profession to provide hundreds of
comments regarding this NPRM.  The quantity and quality of comments will
make a substantial impact on the decision makers at the U.S. Department of
Labor.  Thanks, in advance, for making the commitment to participate in
this advocacy initiative.

If you want to explore the NPRM further, you may download the 211-page
Federal Register file here.  You may review the U.S. Department of Labor?s
side-by-side comparison of the current regulations with the proposed
regulations here.

Please direct your questions and/or comments to Jay Jackman at
[log in to unmask] or to Kent Schescke at [log in to unmask]

Jay and Kent

Wm. Jay Jackman, Ph.D., CAE
Executive Director
National Association of Agricultural Educators
300 Garrigus Building
Lexington, Kentucky  40546-0215
(859) 257-2224 or (800) 509-0204
Fax: (859) 323-3919