Fellow Teachers,
Last week I had the opportunity to attend the NAAE Conference in St Louis.  Farrah Johnson from Florida was elected President-elect for NAAE in St. Louis.  Farrah has served as Region 5 Vice President and has attended many of our conferences.  She will serve NAAE well.
One very important issue facing all agriculture teachers is the proposed labor law changes.  If you have not, heard the Labor Department in Washington is rewriting the labor laws.  If they do this, it will drastically affect our students and their SAE Projects.  Also, kids will not be able to help grandparents, uncles, etc. in family agricultural operations. I urge you to go and make comments on this labor law.  The NAAE Web site has all the information you will need  at  www. naae.org<http://www.naae.org/> .  On the web page you will see the word Urgent!  , and under  Urgent!  you can click on Child Labor Law Information.  The dead line for comments is December 1st.
Dr. Brown, National FFA Advisor, discussed the push for collection of hard data.  No longer are the success stories of our students enough to account for the monies we receive from the federal government. Lawmakers want data.  That is one reason for the new Ag Career Network.  The same holds true for the state of Georgia.  I know this is time consuming. We often wish those creating the budget would visit our programs and see for themselves.  However, when dollars are few and needs are many, we need both numbers and testimonials.
After hearing the state reports from the presidents of other Ag teacher organizations in our region, I felt very blessed to teach Ag in Georgia.  No other state is in the position we are with teachers on 12 month contracts, extended day, state staff, Young Farmer programs, FFA Alumni, or FFA Foundation.  We are the envy of our region, if not the nation.  Yes, funding cuts do come our way; but, even with cuts, Georgia still receives more than any other state.  How did we get there? By the work of many people before us.  We cannot become complacent about our blessings.   Ag Ed in Georgia has not seen hard times as our neighbors.
Thank you for all that you do to help agriculture students and FFA members in Georgia succeed each and every day.  I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.  I leave you with these thoughts from Albert Barnes, "We can always find something to be thankful for, and there may be reason why we ought to be thankful for even those dispensations which appear dark and frowning"

Hugh Lanier - GVATA President
Agriculture Teacher/FFA Advisor
Bainbridge High School

NOTE: Email is provided solely for the instructional and administrative needs of the district. Email correspondence to/from a district email account may be considered public information and subject to release under Georgia laws or pursuant to subpoena.

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the email and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this email or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person. Personal views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent the views of Decatur County School System.