Teachers, please take a look at the question below regarding the Ag. Mechanics team activity.

 One suggestion for preparing your students for this activity is to go to the Ag. Ed website and take a look at some of the past State EMC wiring problems. Work these problems with your students in terms of calculating load and determining the number of individual conductors run in conduit needed to wire the circuit.The size conduit you use will be determined by the load (size of conductor), number of conductors in conduit, and the type of insulation, so basically it will be sized for 12 or 14 AWG wire for our purposes and how ever many conductors there are in the circuit. Determining the size conduit is part of the skill for the students so I cannot tell you what size, but I can tell you that it is Rigid PVC schedule 40.

As far as determining the % area based on the number of conductors, and area of conductors, and its' affect on selecting which size conduit to use, it could be part of the team activity. I believe you are referring to Chapter 9 table 4 Dimensions and % area of conduit, and Chapter 9 Table 5 Dimension of insulated conductors. This could be part of the team activity and is something that I would at least work through with my students as it applies to one of the old State EMC CDE wiring problems.