Since I often spend too much time in the seat of a Ford Focus, I try to walk during lunch when I'm on the ABAC campus. While using Google Earth to see if I could calculate how far I walk each time, I found a feature that could hold endless possibilities for agricultural applications. The "ruler" feature is at the top of the screen on the google earth page. It can be set to calculate distances in any increment (miles, feet, etc.). By selecting "path", you can find the distance for multiple points.

This could be useful in finding the perimeter of a pasture to determine fencing needs, find row length in a field, and a variety of other activities. I thought I would pass it along so that you could share with your students. Google Earth is a free download.

Have a great weekend,

--
Lynn Barber
Georgia Department of Education