Teachers,

Some of you have asked about the subject of the FFA bow tie that has recently become available through the national FFA supply service. National FFA has released the following statement and ask that we share it with all local chapters.

Ben

From: Shiller, Lee Anne [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:45 PM
To: _All State Staff
Subject: Clarification on FFA Bow Tie

Dear State FFA Leaders,

National FFA recently received several inquiries asking if the bow tie sold through the FFA Catalog is considered an “official FFA tie” appropriate for use with official dress. The answer is no.

The bow tie for sale in the catalog was developed in response to a request from a state association. It was added to the catalog as “FFA affinity wear” to be worn with a suit or other clothing on non-official dress occasions. It is not considered part of official dress.

The policies adopted by the National FFA Board of Directors specifically prohibit the organization from making any change to the official dress code. This includes any alteration to items designated as “official” when referencing official dress. We do understand how some could have viewed the bow tie as an item of official dress because it appears, along with several other non-official items, on the same web and catalog pages as other official dress clothing. These pages will be redesigned to ensure there is no further confusion.

While our staff does not have authority to designate any item as “official” when it comes to dress, the National FFA Board of Directors, working in conjunction with the national FFA officers, does. As always, the board can be approached regarding proposed changes to official dress. Our staff then creates and makes available such items for official dress as are approved by the board and the national officers.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused for our members and advisors. Please let me know if you have questions about this or any other item provided through the FFA Catalog.

Best regards,

Lee Anne Shiller

Director- Merchandise, Customer & Fulfillment Services

Net Promoter® Certified Associate

National FFA Organization

6060 FFA Drive

Indianapolis, IN 46268