---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Satterfield, Catherine <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Subject: FW: Call to action on charter amendment
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

I'm not sure if other teachers are aware of this bill. Our superintendent just informed us of it yesterday.
CJ Satterfield
Agriculture Teacher
FFA Advisor
Effingham County High School
1589 Hwy 119 South
Springfield, GA    31329
912-754-6404 ext 1243
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."  Gandhi

Ladies and gentlemen:
Well, it appears that we are in need of a “last gasp effort” to defeat HR1162 in the House.  It has been scheduled for a vote in the House tomorrow, February 22, and I just don’t believe that they would put it on the calendar if the House leadership didn’t feel that they had twisted enough arms to have the 120 votes they need.  In addition, a called meeting of the House Education Committee has been scheduled for this afternoon, a meeting at which the enabling legislation (a new version of HB797) will be introduced.  The stars are aligned.
Here’s what we need:

 *   Please make a telephone call to your representative (both Dems and Repubs) to ask them to vote “no” on this critical piece of legislation.  A phone call is much, much preferred over an email, as they are getting covered up with emails from the charter folks and are just deleting almost anything in their inboxes.  In addition, please encourage calls by all who are within your sphere of influence, as the more they hear from the “folks back home,” the better our chances.
 *   Don’t be swayed by the “they fixed it” comments regarding funding.  Folks, there is only one pie, and that pie is the state budget.  You are already keenly aware of the limitations of that document, having suffered cuts to your own state allotments for ten years now.  Even if they keep their pledge to refrain from trying to “take local money,” any money in the state budget for newly-approved state charter schools would still have to come from that larger budget, meaning (once again) fewer dollars (an even smaller piece of the pie) for local school systems.
 *   We are already planning our Senate strategy and will be contacting key superintendents whose senators could well be sympathetic to our position.  If this resolution makes it out of the House, the battle on the Senate side will be just as intense and will require that your hard work continue.  Even at this point, I’d be interested in any thoughts that any of you have about where your senators stand, as this will help us in our lobbying efforts.
 *   I am including a second copy of the op-ed piece that I sent as part of the last edition of Friday notes, as that document provides a pretty good set of talking points.  In addition, if you need a reminder of how your representative voted the last time HR1162 was up, click here<http://www.ciclt.net/sn/vot/v_detail.aspx?ClientCode=gssa&V_ID=10035> for that list.
Please let me know via email of any commitments you get from your representatives.

--
Alicia Tomlinson
Georgia Agriculture Education Technology Coordinator