Fellow Agricultural Education Teachers, (I realize this is a bit lengthy, but please take the time to read these reminders about the convention)

As you are aware, the 84th State FFA Convention is taking place next week (April 26-28).  The convention continues to grow from year to year and we are expecting a crowd of more than 4,000 at this year's convention!  Your preparation, participation, and assistance are more critical now than ever before. Attached you will find very important assignments regarding courtesy corps, the state convention committee, and advisor responsibilities during the convention.  The State Convention is a life changing experience for many of the young people involved.  Your active involvement will play a vital role in making this positive difference.  I realize this is a very busy time of year, but please take the time to read the following information and view the attachments carefully.

If for any reason you will be unable to fulfill any of the responsibilities to which you are being asked to help with at the convention, please notify Ben Lastly, FFA Executive Secretary at 706-552-4456 immediately.

2012 State FFA Convention Reminders

•   Registration

All chapters should have completed the chapter registration process by now. State Convention packets are being created based on the registration numbers that you turned in. When you arrive at the Convention, please report to the Registration desk in the Arena ticket lobby to pick-up your chapter's packet. If you know that you will have additional attendees (student or adult), please pick up buttons for those attendees at the Registration desk. There is no charge for adding additional attendees onsite. For  security reasons, it is very important that every attendee is wearing an official State FFA Convention button or name tag during the convention. The Registration desk will open at 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 26, in the Arena Ticket Lobby.

Available at the registration desk will be concert tickets for $20 each, and copies of the 2011 FFA Theme DVD (I Believe) for $5 each. Registration will accept cash or checks made to the Georgia FFA Association. NEW THIS YEAR….each chapter will have 2 convention program books in your packet, regardless of how many people you registered. Extra program books will be available for pick-up as needed in the Registration area at no charge.

•   Medical Authorization Form

Please find attached a medical authorization form. Each student attending the convention will be expected to have a form onsite.  Please duplicate and complete the forms prior to leaving school. It is NOT necessary to turn the medical forms in at the registration desk. We simply ask that you have them with you in Macon so that should an accident occur, we have the necessary medical information to get proper treatment for every student.

•   Official Dress

Prior to leaving your school please make sure that all members have complete official dress for the entire convention. It is especially important for those members who will be receiving awards and/or degrees to be in complete and proper official FFA dress. Please address this issue with your students as it relates to wearing blue jeans, khakis, white socks, hats, and tennis shoes. It is our desire to maintain convention dress at a high level of professionalism. This includes the Career Show. When your students are at the Convention Center, please be sure that they portray the professional image of the state FFA convention. NEW THIS YEAR the FFA Alumni will be selling a few Official Dress items (i.e. ties, scarves, panty hose) at the State Convention store .

•   Appropriate Dress of Adults

The appropriate dress for teachers and others who attend the convention is professional dress. This includes coats and ties for gentlemen and a dress, nice pants suit, or skirt and blouse for ladies. Please help us maintain this standard of professionalism during the convention.

•   Courtesy Corps

The Courtesy Corps has been organized to provide additional assistance and direction for the convention. The Courtesy Corps will meet with assigned students and teachers at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 26, in Room 308 in the Convention Center. All teachers assigned duties and responsibilities should be in attendance to review the requirements and duties of the Courtesy Corp. All other teachers are welcome to be in attendance. As a verification measure, please check the attached Courtesy Corps assignment sheet to determine if one of your members is assigned.

•   Advisor Roles and Responsibilities - Assignment Sheet

 Advisor responsibilities for convention are included with the courtesy corps attachment.  Please read them carefully and familiarize yourself with your responsibilities during the convention.  If you will not be able to fulfill your responsibility for any reason, please let Ben Lastly know immediately. As well as assigned responsibilities, please be aware of what is happening around you, adopt a neighborhood watch manner of thinking, and maintain a security watch at all times. With your cooperation and help, the convention will be a great experience for everyone involved. Every teacher on this list should attend the Courtesy Corps meeting.

•   Food Drive

Please remember to bring food for the FFA Convention Food Drive.  All food can be dropped off on Thursday at the south side entrance of the Edgar Wilson Convention Center (facing I-16) on Thursday afternoon from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. There will be a truck from the Food Bank parked outside the Convention Center. Please place your food items in the truck to have them counted and checked in. All food collected will go to the Middle Georgia Community Food Bank. Again this year we ask that you make an effort to bring jars of peanut butter!

•   State FFA Convention Committee

Please review the attached State Convention Committee assignments. Insure that students participate in their committee meeting Friday at 12:30 p.m. in  Room 324.

•   State Staff Assignments

If you need information about a specific activity at the Convention, or need to know who to contact about a particular situation, please be aware of the following staff assignments and superintendent roles.

Courtesy Corps. - Jerry Taylor

Proficiency Interviews – Dr. D.J. Sheppard

Star Interviews – Yvette Smith

CDEs – John Allen Bailey

Sr. Prepared Public Speaking – Anne Smith

Jr. Prepared Public Speaking – Sidney Bell

Creed Speaking – Melissa Riley

Extemporaneous Speaking – Dr. Teri Hamlin

Parliamentary Procedure - Chip Bridges

Discussion Meet – Tommy Waldrop

Agriscience Fair – Christa Steinkamp & Justin Sealy

Woodworking –Kevin Jump

Alumni Convention – Stan Mitchell

There will be many special guests attending this year's convention that will leave the event with an impression of FFA. State Schools Superintendent Dr. John Barge is planning to attend as well as the National FFA Advisor Dr. Steve Brown. We will also have many school administrators in attendance. It is extremely important that our students make every effort to represent themselves, their FFA Chapter, their FFA advisor, and their school in a very positive manner. Please keep in mind that we all have a responsibility for the success of the convention and not just a responsibility to carry out the duties we are assigned. This is especially true in managing and supervising our own students as well as providing a safe and secure environment for all students. Everyone should join together to see that students are where they should be when they should be. Simply checking to see that your students are in the convention hall and are seated and acting appropriately will go a long way in improving the overall success of the convention. Also, teachers should be in attendance in the convention hall to assist with crowd control, to greet guests, and to maintain a safe environment for all students. All teachers should help identify special guests and assist them in getting to the correct location.

Thanks again for everything that you do to provide opportunities for your students. Let's have a GREAT Convention!!!

John (Chip) Bridges

Program Manager, Agricultural Education

Georgia Department of Education

1752 Twin Towers East