I know it is summer time and many of you are busy in the canning plant, attending summer staff development courses or sneaking in a few days "off" from your regular agriculture teacher routine, but I did want to mention the State Farm Youth Service America Grant available to K-12 educators.  I applied for one of these grants and was 1 of 100 in the nation to receive it so it CAN be done!!!  Any opportunities you see in your community to engage students with others or the environment are great.  Of course community garden projects fit, but thinking beyond that there are many, many other opportunities and who couldn't use some free money?  I worked this in with my floral design class, but FFA chapter service projects would be perfect.

Here is some basic info and the link to the YSA website.
Good luck -- let me know if you need help in completing the grant application.

Yvette Smith

STATE FARM YOUTH SERVICE AMERICA GRANT
State Farm™ is proud to team up with YSA (Youth Service America) to offer grants of up to $1,500 for programs enhancing student achievement through service-learning in K-12 public schools in all fifty US states, the District of Columbia, and in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Ontario and New Brunswick.
Each grant engages participating teachers and students in a service and learning program that promotes academic achievement, 21st Century student outcomes, and stronger communities. The State Farm Good Neighbor Student Achievement Grant requires a 12-to-14 week Semester of Service™ starting on MLK Day of Service (January 21, 2013) and ending on Global Youth Service Day, (April 26-28, 2013).

http://www.ysa.org/goodneighbor
--
Yvette H. Smith
South Region Horticulture Area Teacher