Thank you Becky Forrester and Tyrone Castell for sending in and sharing successful & fun educational activities.

From: Becky Forrester: Gordon Lee High School
Using Agriculture Produce (Milk & Eggs) & Taste Test
 It takes almost all of a class period (block schedule), with some instructions before we go outside.

This is what I buy for 2 classes of about 28 students.

3 gal. whole milk

8 pint of half and half

1 bag of sugar

18 eggs

Vanilla

6-7 containers of salt (26 oz.)

enough zip lock bags for each student to have:  1 sandwich bag and 1 quart bag.  They have to be zip lock!

spoons

a cooler full of ice from the lunchroom

Instructions:

Mix together in a bowl

    4 beaten eggs

    4 cups half and half

    2 teas. vanilla

    1/2 teas. salt

Pour this mixture in an empty, clean milk jug.  Fill it half full with the mixture, then fill the rest of the milk jug with milk.  A funnel helps.  Put the cap on the milk jug and have a student shake it (a lot).  I have the students do everything except for the next part.  Each student gets 1 zip lock sandwich bag and 1 quart zip lock bag.  I pour approximately 1 cup of the mixture into the sandwich bag.  I don't really measure, just eye ball it.  The student must make sure most of the air is out of the bag and it is zipped well.  Place the sandwich bag full of mixture into the quart bag, fill the quart bag with ice and salt well.  Shake well and within a few minutes, they should have ice cream.

You could add chocolate or fruit to the mixture.  Sometimes kids will have ice cream that tastes salty and its because they didn't zip well or their bag busted (air not pressed out).   If the mixture is not solidifying, they don't have enough salt or ice.  We love doing this during a short unit on eggs.

From Tyrone Casteel, Woodland High School
Environmental Project

We found a website www.parkingday.org<http://www.parkingday.org/> and thought it was really cool.  It would be a great project for classes or FFA students to work with science teachers especially environmental science.  On September 21 each year groups around the world set up a small park or some other display, in a parking space, promoting environmentalism or the green movement.  The group registers with the website and are added to a google map showing the location of the display.  I thought it may be something that you would want to share with the other teachers.  Our chapter and general horticulture classes are partnering with the environmental sciences classes to set up our display, should be fun.

Thanks,
Tyrone Casteel
Woodland High School
Agriculture Education/FFA