The Laurens County Young Farmer Organization will be hosting an egg
candling class for the Ga. Dept of Agriculture on Oct. 9.  I have included
information about other classes scheduled for Oct. offered by Lee Lancaster
from the Dept. of Ag.
These classes are available to the public at no charge and students are
welcome.  Please send me an e-mail or give me a call, if you would like to
attend the class at West Laurens High School.

Terry Brown
Laurens County Young Farmers
**** **
**Message from Lee Lancaster**
**Ga. Dept. of Agriculture**
****
Our next egg candling classes have been scheduled for the fall. Please
select a date you would like to attend and contact me by email. I will then
forward the information to the facilities in charge so they will be aware
of the number of participants to expect and not have anyone registered
twice. Thank you to the FFA chapters, Young Farmer chapters, and UGA
Extension Service for their help in hosting and advertising these classes.**
**
** **
Lee Lancaster****
Georgia Department of Agriculture****
Tifton District
October 4, 2012 @ 9am till 2:00 pm****
Buena Vista, GA ****
Marion County Agriculture Service Center****
111 Baker Street****
Buena Vista, GA 31803****
Contact: ****
Roger Sinyard, County Coordinator****
Carol Elliott, Secretary****
Phone: 229-649-2625****
** **
October 9, 2012 @ 8:30am till 12 noon****
Dublin/Laurens County****
West Laurens High School****
3692 GA Highway 257****
Dexter, GA 31019****
This course will be held in the FFA/Agriculture class rooms in the
Vocational wing of WLHS Room 317. From I-16, exit 49 to GA Hwy 257 West
toward Dexter, turn left onto Mark Wood Rd at the west end of the campus.
Enter the property from Mark Wood Rd, through the last rear gate near the
green houses. The class room will be the first one in the first brick
building on the left.****
Contact:****
Terry Brown, County Young Farmer Coordinator****
Phone: (478) 697-9241
UGA Laurens County Extension:****
Raymond Joyce, County Extension Coordinator****
Sheila Wilcher, Extension Secretary****
Phone: ( 478 )272-2277****
** **
October 11, 2012 @ 1:00pm till 5:00pm****
Savannah/Chatham County****
UGA Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens at the Historic Bamboo Farm****
2 Canebrake Road****
Savannah, GA 31419****
( Off US 17 South )****
A class for high school/middle school students and faculty is planned for
the morning of October 11, prior to the class for adults in the afternoon.**
**
Contact: ****
UGA Extension Service for Chatham County:****
Jackie Ogden, County Extension Coordinator****
David Linvill, County Extension Agent****
Susan Edwards, County Extension Secretary****
Phone: 912-652-7981****
**
*Egg Candling Class*
Individuals desiring to produce and offer for sale shell eggs in Georgia
shall comply with The Georgia Egg Law (Chapter 2, Title 26, Article 8,
Section 260-273) which states, “Each egg candler and grader, of eggs
offered for sale, shall obtain a license from the Department of Agriculture
at no cost, after demonstrating to the satisfaction of the department his
capability and qualifications as an egg candler and grader.”The license can
be obtained from a department representative by successfully taking and
passing a written examination and a candling examination both administered
by the department representative.The recommended study materials for the
written examination and the candling examination include The Georgia Egg
Law which can be obtained from the Georgia Department of Agriculture at no
charge or on line at www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/gacode/index.htm (Title
26) *and* the USDA Federal Egg-Grading Manual, AH-75 which can be obtained
from USDA-AMS Poultry Programs-STOP 0259, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW,
Washington, DC 20250-0259 (202-720-3506) or on line at
http://www.ams.usda.gov/poultry/resources/pypubs.htm.****

--
Ricky Wheeler
Area Animal Science Teacher