The Laurens County Young Farmer Organization will be hosting an egg candling class for the Ga. Dept of Agriculture on Oct. 9.  I have included information about other classes scheduled for Oct. offered by Lee Lancaster from the Dept. of Ag.
These classes are available to the public at no charge and students are welcome.  Please send me an e-mail or give me a call, if you would like to attend the class at West Laurens High School.

Terry Brown
Laurens County Young Farmers

Message from Lee Lancaster
Ga. Dept. of Agriculture

Our next egg candling classes have been scheduled for the fall. Please select a date you would like to attend and contact me by email. I will then forward the information to the facilities in charge so they will be aware of the number of participants to expect and not have anyone registered twice. Thank you to the FFA chapters, Young Farmer chapters, and UGA Extension Service for their help in hosting and advertising these classes.

Lee Lancaster
Georgia Department of Agriculture
Tifton District
October 4, 2012 @ 9am till 2:00 pm
Buena Vista, GA
Marion County Agriculture Service Center
111 Baker Street
Buena Vista, GA 31803
Contact:
Roger Sinyard, County Coordinator
Carol Elliott, Secretary
Phone: 229-649-2625

October 9, 2012 @ 8:30am till 12 noon
Dublin/Laurens County
West Laurens High School
3692 GA Highway 257
Dexter, GA 31019
This course will be held in the FFA/Agriculture class rooms in the Vocational wing of WLHS Room 317. From I-16, exit 49 to GA Hwy 257 West toward Dexter, turn left onto Mark Wood Rd at the west end of the campus. Enter the property from Mark Wood Rd, through the last rear gate near the green houses. The class room will be the first one in the first brick building on the left.
Contact:
Terry Brown, County Young Farmer Coordinator
Phone: (478) 697-9241
UGA Laurens County Extension:
Raymond Joyce, County Extension Coordinator
Sheila Wilcher, Extension Secretary
Phone: ( 478 )272-2277

October 11, 2012 @ 1:00pm till 5:00pm
Savannah/Chatham County
UGA Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens at the Historic Bamboo Farm
2 Canebrake Road
Savannah, GA 31419
( Off US 17 South )
A class for high school/middle school students and faculty is planned for the morning of October 11, prior to the class for adults in the afternoon.
Contact:
UGA Extension Service for Chatham County:
Jackie Ogden, County Extension Coordinator
David Linvill, County Extension Agent
Susan Edwards, County Extension Secretary
Phone: 912-652-7981

Egg Candling Class
Individuals desiring to produce and offer for sale shell eggs in Georgia shall comply with The Georgia Egg Law (Chapter 2, Title 26, Article 8, Section 260-273) which states, “Each egg candler and grader, of eggs offered for sale, shall obtain a license from the Department of Agriculture at no cost, after demonstrating to the satisfaction of the department his capability and qualifications as an egg candler and grader.”The license can be obtained from a department representative by successfully taking and passing a written examination and a candling examination both administered by the department representative.The recommended study materials for the written examination and the candling examination include The Georgia Egg Law which can be obtained from the Georgia Department of Agriculture at no charge or on line at www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/gacode/index.htm (Title 26) and the USDA Federal Egg-Grading Manual, AH-75 which can be obtained from USDA-AMS Poultry Programs-STOP 0259, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-0259 (202-720-3506) or on line at http://www.ams.usda.gov/poultry/resources/pypubs.htm.

--
Ricky Wheeler
Area Animal Science Teacher