Good Morning Teachers,

As most of us braved this first bit of cold weather it is hard to believe it's time to start planning for your spring greenhouse crops!  Attached you will find the 2013 Spring Plug and Cutting Order Form.  As we've experienced water damage here in our office this summer and to some of our office equipment our fax machine became more tempermental - working on a whim.  To ensure your order is received please make your selections on the order form, noting your name and school/chapter name and email it back to me.
NEW Items:
You will find there are several new items on the list this year, those items appear in green on the order form. Herbs and Calibrachoa (also known as million bells) combos are the most exciting additions!  The calibrachoa combos are 3 colors to each plug that would be perfect to make their own mixed hanging baskets. Look up pictures of these are google images to view the full size of these beauties! Herb gardens are an easy solution to students with limited money/space for their SAE.  Note that on several selections you will see "growers choice of 3" which means a tray may include some colors not included in the regular offering and is completely left to the grower to decide.

MIXED planters/baskets:
Mixed baskets are the trend now (1 or more different plants per basket) - creating full, colorful, and interesting floral combinations all in one container.  Here are some combos using the plant selections on our list such as:
Scaveola (a cascading flowering plant) mixed with wave petunias
Creeping jenny (a unique lime green plant that spills over containers) mixed with petunias
Angelonia (an upright flower), sweet potato vine, and wave petunias
Creeping jenny, angelonia, and dragonwing or angelwing begonia
Calibrachoa, sweet potato vine and verbena
Dracaena, joseph's coat, and wave petunias
Bacopa and creeping jenny
There are numerous combinations using the plants on our list. If you have any specific questions please feel free to call or email - I'd be more than happy to assist you in making your selections.

Vegetables:
New this year, most of our vegetables will be available in half trays and we have added a few new varieties of tomatoes and eggplant.
Impatiens:
A fungus disease called downy mildew has had devastating results on Impatiens. The disease was found all over the country and no known prevention or cure is available at this time. These plants will not be sold in the "big box" stores or Pike Nurseries. We think it is important to take the high road and not offer the traditional impatiens or double impatiens until a solution is found. However, New Guinea Impatiens are resistant to downy mildew and are still being offered this year.

All spring orders are due to me by next Tuesday, November 13th.

Yvette H. Smith
South Region Horticulture Area Teacher
Georgia Agricultural Education
ABAC 34 - 2802 Moore Highway