Interesting current event topic regarding the future of  beef labeling.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* American Simmental Association <[log in to unmask]>
*Date:* October 19, 2012, 7:00:45 PM EDT
*To:* [log in to unmask]
*Subject:* *ASA eNews,  October 19*
*Reply-To:* [log in to unmask]

<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=9i7q9udab&v=001_bti-hHe0Cy9Xs2R1JzvTz2aFkbl_j3K1vtM7PJ9t46YGdWZl_Bh276o6YWxLqIEvl7i0kfhbO8XRQNAA5HcgxGaCVhZ0z3BxGt-Bvuh1fCVJIkV94PPvA%3D%3D>
       <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NXm3Ec6vLIE9QrNBOJcfdgs05bUoyP23-PzcWR3_6-dDopQ1BmhTiiosYe79lyY_A1wsRFqXUHk4hEhuJO6wPP_-Pmh2_MHrfA=>
    *Quick links*

Herdbook Services<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NXB_IO8WIV24r7Xk7KotRfpydhkCFGOnY9l93tN9S6q3VxleFoKAY6B9-e_jmq8-CG7L1uZgHHKesgQ7vXpcrRx3gnJQjBBzlpSiF50btgfpBHEYJJ3A6G9mZoTdbCyUTGfOdm1EZeAfvx48ba_nkXO>

THE<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NXgJHi_WimZeq4KsroNqyo09PgUAP-U7sfQtK_35CVv5tHiliPiRW_USsJm5-K4MBIy9KlWbwh6YZuYZaSLJDKoQB3OKgoGCavad_hcu0T_wb7ees5AY_0EDgezevKG6hIxYDMfBKmWuGxmnVb73gHz>

Genetic Defects<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NUzsJOhD4iUtWXjgLV6-SGfhnLiuQYHPDNXmDAa5mfC0O8IHWiP_vSL9HwDs-bwLk6POsmV79MQRy5fdod7dmViAUMXfZ4yKIjWTmUzayh_BjocaAgUaSELJiXjrdTBEa0JkcWITT78gw==>

Resource Library<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NWHOMvO8SbwubeEGxDH2pparNR-OLzPUmq4CFlb0hw30XUXVzwwZxmkjBp9p8ZrUeB1oAXawM_etk0K-phLlPL9acHoc716Wmj3hMIDHVyLr3ZUuTnqy9o57aTuZXS1eDU=>

eSeminar Archive<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NX1DNFs8KycpX1gVfA41GPf2blBPE04hxI_FbJe6k_NkkfGNHDNw6noce0UxPDheUSTOsKJ552M7-dCZg6vNTMpz84RUlz9Pu_U1lWIGniFkeJir4sjvZVifWaRAkIIGVaBL1SINuvsc7iK3h9HeNnxVln0z5sqfMxyFANP5KoIydXFg6dIRjPkqcwKd6vsMfaYb657XvT6HvKm1GynRa8UfKF9U5HlD5A=>

Contact the Staff<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NVz8fHB-DW-wtf5gf0v4F6bZyNCnBwUB1VCzqqqKmlmMqtpyLMqvZ8ITMZGF9l63xBSHve7KERk_50OmRfHUr4Hf5L6vmpYJnQ1-3oZDm6TQ3vL2H-VUaKTTOcnZHzQZDw1VPIziUAWPA==>

ASA Publication<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NVN-SVfM0nvO-atMlvPCqrbLW7VRmLJDGzxd4OSNukzaO6zMJgPvIxpmsV6aHpYRWW1p7UJgisSfJpVDH_tZDmU8ZdDUcSbhN8nK7FJQOMFAMK4pFF67wl7720yAEqIwZG_ZBM_eIekVQ==>

Upcoming Sales /
Events<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NVN-SVfM0nvO-atMlvPCqrbLW7VRmLJDGzxd4OSNukzaO6zMJgPvIxpmsV6aHpYRWW1p7UJgisSfJpVDH_tZDmU8ZdDUcSbhN8nK7FJQOMFAMK4pFF67wl7720yAEqIwZG_ZBM_eIekVQ==>

    *USDA on the verge of offering "Tender" and "Very Tender"
labeling: *Last week, we shared information on the relationships
between tenderness,
marbling and consumer taste panels. Now, the USDA seems to be in the final
stages of working with our industry to identify and label beef cuts
according to their tenderness expectations. Just like quality and yield
grades, there are USDA Shield-stamps developed (for Tender and Very Tender)
that will signify that USDA has oversight for these products and is
monitoring the systems that sort these products into the tenderness
categories.

USDA has determined the maximum shear force or slice force allowable for
these labels and will monitor the products from time-to-time. We have been
predicting that the beef industry will somehow find ideas and techniques to
sort cattle, carcasses and cuts into "eating satisfaction" categories.
Research has validated that many consumer segments will pay more for beef
that has satisfaction guarantees. Hopefully, ASA has prepared SimGenetics
for the opportunities this brings.

If you have not yet watched the Michael Dikeman Video on our website, do it
soon. You will see how we measure cooked steak tenderness and hear Dr.
Dikeman discuss levels of beef tenderness.
Click here to view the
video<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NX9Rr5VgUhHzsllyzficiRqD2X4lhvB68TFgqny8xmTa71F9bXI_hSdoe-xLJwQtog6ycCPChc_8ZLe0Ngq3u9CRkiMBl1QRwzFGeB8LFt1CQ79cJbaeCXtpNCKzKIteKvleqbUmMUIdicKjHemZS-oyXeeNN7Wopo=>
.

* Don't Miss Out News from ASA - Update your ASA Membership Account:* If
you no longer have a land-line, please update your membership account by
calling the office to update your phone number, or you can update your own
account by signing in and selecting "Update Account". While you're there,
please verify that your email and mailing addresses are also the most
current.

------------------------------

*Changes, they are a comin'...* ASA is changing the way animal numbers are
assigned. In an effort to promote consistency, all future animals numbers
will be assigned sequentially at the time they are reported to the
Association.

*What exactly does this mean?*
When a new animal is reported to the Association, it will be assigned the
next available animal number in the 2-million series, regardless of
registration status.

*How will I be able to tell whether or not an animal is registered?*
Registered animals will display normally on the website and all printed
materials provided by ASA. Unregistered animals will be designated by
parenthesis. These display conventions are already in effect on website and
recent certificates.
*Examples:*
 A Registered Animal: #1234567
Unregistered Animal: #(1234567)

*What happens to current unregistered animals?*
All animals, which are currently unregistered, will retain their existing
animal numbers. We are not planning on reassigning numbers on these
animals; however, the previous convention remains in effect for these
animals. If you register an animal with a 9-million number, it will be
assigned the next available animal number in the 2-million series.

*Why is ASA making this change?*
In a word, consistency. This new system will ensure that a new animal's
number will not change from the moment they are reported to the
Association. The previous system of changing animal numbers led to a number
of issues. Certificates and paperwork could display numbers that no longer
exist. Additionally, working with outside entities - such as labs and
ultrasound techs -
was problematic if an animal changed numbers while work was being processed
on them elsewhere.

*When does this change take effect?* The target date for this change is
December 1,
2012. After that date, all animals processed -via paper application or
online - will be
subject to the new numbering system.

*Need more information?*
Please call the Association at 406-587-4531, and we'll be happy to answer
any questions you may have.
------------------------------
*Report Your Abnormal Calves:* ASA has a confidential, free reporting
service for all members. If you have an abnormal calf, please call Jerry,
Wade, or Marilyn immediately (well, at least during the work day!). We will
work with each member to get a diagnosis. Regardless, if the calf is alive
or dead, call us before any tissue degradation occurs. We usually ask for
photos or video. If any laboratory work is needed, ASA pays all expenses.

------------------------------

*ASA Foundation Benefits at the American Royal Simmental Sale:* On
Saturday night, November 2, at 6 PM, CJ Brown's #12 Artist Proof of "A
Magical Moment" will be sold at the American Royal Simmental Sale. Donated
by Eberspacher Enterprises, all the proceeds from the sale of the print
will go directly to the ASA Foundation for the benefit of Silver and Gold
Merit Award Scholarships. To date, the sale of the print has raised over
$13, 427 for the 2012 and 2013 AJSA Classic. Thank you Val and Lori for
your continued support of the Foundation and the AJSA Scholarship program.

  ------------------------------

   *December 3 and 4 - See you in Sioux Falls:*
Mark your calendars and register for the upcoming Applied Reproduction
Strategies in Beef Cattle at the Ramkota Hotel & Conference Center.
Symposium Topics include:

   - How Do You Profit from Reproduction?
   - Management of Stress
   - Vaccination and Pregnancy Determination
   - Advancing Technologies
   - Plus, many more

Register on-line at
http://muconf.missouri.edu/ARSBC-SouthDakota<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NUzsJOhD4iUtZ81jOTxHkYqfm3q_lSaJWWHwhaQwGCOvkcRyIi2k8ygmGpLlLLHoH7JjYWAcSaIq44sRyFQutt-cLCNKkOHYAVXWT-DLb9bbK4gwd6cIdlrh4LDXH2h1NE=>

Click here for more
information<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001zRT0U4gT7NWHOMvO8SbwuSfz7cy3XsgxCOkV4P6wk16zEpiFzdOi8FyjWvUUK3QLYs1PgjWQjNjCjwjh6V65GfP5GuwnrTkw2lJmP25rPw9epVtxsyeBaoSnAAIyFw3PqnK5LPe3XTY=>

*Advertise with eLink!*

Want to remind customers about your sale just days before the event? Need
to direct traffic to your online catalog? Consider using eLink, ASA
Publication's newest and most popular form of advertising. The cost is only
$200 for the first edition, and can be turned around as quickly as one
day.

                  *Contact:**   Rebecca Price  the Register, SimTalk *

*                                                406-587-2778 (office)*

*
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> *
       Forward email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=9i7q9udab&m=1103431758106&ea=christasteinkamp%40gmail.com&a=1111303759685>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001K_4EBhhTrxT20rg5oHp8vSQNYbaLwD39&t=001moHGDml3UcMNT3L63qSiyw%3D%3D&llr=9i7q9udab>
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_Promo_201>
This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |

Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=001K_4EBhhTrxT20rg5oHp8vSQNYbaLwD39&t=001moHGDml3UcMNT3L63qSiyw%3D%3D&llr=9i7q9udab>
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001K_4EBhhTrxT20rg5oHp8vSQNYbaLwD39&t=001moHGDml3UcMNT3L63qSiyw%3D%3D&llr=9i7q9udab>
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
 American Simmental Association | 1 Simmental Way | Bozeman | MT | 59715