Interesting current event topic regarding the future of beef labeling.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: American Simmental Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date: October 19, 2012, 7:00:45 PM EDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ASA eNews, October 19

Quick links

Herdbook Services

THE

Genetic Defects

Resource Library

eSeminar Archive

Contact the Staff

ASA Publication

Upcoming Sales / Events

USDA on the verge of offering "Tender" and "Very Tender" labeling: Last week, we shared information on the relationships between tenderness, marbling and consumer taste panels. Now, the USDA seems to be in the final stages of working with our industry to identify and label beef cuts according to their tenderness expectations. Just like quality and yield grades, there are USDA Shield-stamps developed (for Tender and Very Tender) that will signify that USDA has oversight for these products and is monitoring the systems that sort these products into the tenderness categories.

USDA has determined the maximum shear force or slice force allowable for these labels and will monitor the products from time-to-time. We have been predicting that the beef industry will somehow find ideas and techniques to sort cattle, carcasses and cuts into "eating satisfaction" categories. Research has validated that many consumer segments will pay more for beef that has satisfaction guarantees. Hopefully, ASA has prepared SimGenetics for the opportunities this brings.

If you have not yet watched the Michael Dikeman Video on our website, do it soon. You will see how we measure cooked steak tenderness and hear Dr. Dikeman discuss levels of beef tenderness.
.

Don't Miss Out News from ASA - Update your ASA Membership Account: If you no longer have a land-line, please update your membership account by calling the office to update your phone number, or you can update your own account by signing in and selecting "Update Account". While you're there, please verify that your email and mailing addresses are also the most current.

Changes, they are a comin'... ASA is changing the way animal numbers are assigned. In an effort to promote consistency, all future animals numbers will be assigned sequentially at the time they are reported to the Association.

What exactly does this mean?
When a new animal is reported to the Association, it will be assigned the next available animal number in the 2-million series, regardless of registration status.

How will I be able to tell whether or not an animal is registered?
Registered animals will display normally on the website and all printed materials provided by ASA. Unregistered animals will be designated by parenthesis. These display conventions are already in effect on website and recent certificates.
Examples:
A Registered Animal: #1234567
Unregistered Animal: #(1234567)

What happens to current unregistered animals?
All animals, which are currently unregistered, will retain their existing animal numbers. We are not planning on reassigning numbers on these animals; however, the previous convention remains in effect for these animals. If you register an animal with a 9-million number, it will be assigned the next available animal number in the 2-million series.

Why is ASA making this change?
In a word, consistency. This new system will ensure that a new animal's number will not change from the moment they are reported to the Association. The previous system of changing animal numbers led to a number of issues. Certificates and paperwork could display numbers that no longer exist. Additionally, working with outside entities - such as labs and ultrasound techs -
was problematic if an animal changed numbers while work was being processed on them elsewhere.

When does this change take effect? The target date for this change is December 1,
2012. After that date, all animals processed -via paper application or online - will be
subject to the new numbering system.

Need more information?
Please call the Association at 406-587-4531, and we'll behappy to answer any questions you may have.

Report Your Abnormal Calves: ASA has a confidential, free reporting servicefor all members. If you have an abnormal calf, please call Jerry, Wade, or Marilynimmediately (well, at least during the work day!). We will work with each member toget a diagnosis. Regardless, if the calf is alive or dead, call us before any tissuedegradation occurs. We usually ask for photos or video. If any laboratory work isneeded, ASA pays all expenses.

ASA Foundation Benefits at the American Royal Simmental Sale: On Saturdaynight, November 2, at 6 PM, CJ Brown's #12 Artist Proof of "A Magical Moment" will be sold at the American Royal Simmental Sale. Donated byEberspacher Enterprises, all the proceeds from the sale of the print will go directly to the ASA Foundation for the benefit of Silver and Gold Merit Award Scholarships. Todate, the sale of the print has raised over $13, 427 for the 2012 and 2013 AJSA Classic. Thank you Val and Lori for your continued support of the Foundation and theAJSA Scholarship program.

December 3 and 4 - See you in Sioux Falls:
Mark your calendars and register forthe upcoming Applied Reproduction Strategies in Beef Cattle at the Ramkota Hotel &Conference Center. Symposium Topics include:
  • How Do You Profit from Reproduction?
  • Management of Stress
  • Vaccination and Pregnancy Determination
  • Advancing Technologies
  • Plus, many more

Advertise with eLink!

Want to remind customers about your sale just days before the event? Need to direct traffic to your online catalog? Consider using eLink, ASA Publication's newest and most popular form of advertising. The cost is only $200 for the first edition, and can be turned around as quickly as one day.

Contact:Rebecca Pricethe Register, SimTalk

406-587-2778 (office)

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
American Simmental Association | 1 Simmental Way | Bozeman | MT | 59715