Greetings from the International Student Life Office! The following are announcements for the week of February 11th – February 15th, 2013

1. Global Leadership Institute – First Seminar Rescheduled

2. International Coffee Hour – This Friday

3. Nonresident Tax Assistance Program Begins This Week - Friday, February 15, 2013

4. Association of Chinese Professionals – Immigration Lawyer Presentation

5. Arab Cultural Association Presents Syria Week

6. Filipino Student Association Presents Filipino Night

7. Special Event: Partner Yoga

8. Outdoor Recreation – Upcoming Events

9. Free Informal English Classes

10. International Students’ Organization – Conference Opportunity

11. OPT Workshop Information Sessions – Office of International Education
________________________________

1. 1. Global Leadership Institute – First Seminar Rescheduled
The first Global Leadership Institute seminar, "Changing Education Paradigms," has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 20 from 6:00pm to 7:30pm in MLC 248.

For updated information on this semester's seminars, visit http://isl.uga.edu/ or email ISL at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Changing Education Paradigms, presented by Takuya Iwata
Wednesday, February 20th, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
MLC 248
Please see the Facebook event for the first seminar: https://www.facebook.com/events/248506101947817/

Information about other upcoming seminars will be released soon.

The Global Leadership Institute (GLI) is a series of internationally-focused seminars that facilitate opportunities for students to enhance a variety of global competencies. GLI seminars seek to internationalize the student experience at UGA by informing cultural awareness, promoting diversity appreciation, and advancing student engagement in the community.

________________________________

2. International Coffee Hour – This Friday
International Coffee Hour at the University of Georgia is a weekly program that brings UGA students, faculty, staff, and community members together over coffee and international cuisine. Meet others and learn about cultures from all over the world.

Friday, February 15, 2013
11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Memorial Hall Ballroom
For more information, contact ISL at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or (706) 542-5867

________________________________

3. NonResident Tax Assistance Program Begins This Week -- February 15, 2013.

ISL will begin offering assistance to UGA international students for their nonresident tax forms on Friday, February 15, 2013 from 11:30 am - 1:15 pm in the Memorial Hall Ballroom Balcony.

This Friday marks the kickoff for the 2013 tax season.  Students should bring ALL immigration documents with them (even to ask a question).  Students should also complete their federal tax forms online PRIOR to coming to the workshop for assistance.  Per federal law, ALL international students who were present in the U.S. (even for 1 day) in 2012 MUST file some type of tax paperwork, even if you did not work in the U.S. in 2012.

Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with specific questions and for more information.  The nonresident tax brochure is attached to this email for your convenience.

________________________________

4. Association of Chinese Professionals – Immigration Lawyer Presentation

“The Association of Chinese Professionals (ACP) is going to hold an H-1B Visa & Immigration Seminar at 2:45 pm, Feb 16 in MLC 348. We will introduce important information for H-1B and green card application, and answer specific questions from all of you!

Some questions that may be covered are:
What positions and companies will most likely get me an H-1B visa, according to my major (no matter science or social science)?
What experience do I need to get my H-1B application approved, based on my major and position?
What's the timeline? What materials do I need?
Will Obama and the Congress change the current immigration law? How? What will be the effects on us?

Our speaker, Mr. Jeff Xie, is an immigration lawyer in the Atlanta area. Please see the attached biography for more information.

Come and join our seminar! Let us help you on the way to your future career!

If you have any specific question, please send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> We will send all your questions to our speaker in advance so that we won't miss your question.

Sincerely,
ACP”
________________________________

5.  Arab Cultural Association Presents Syria Week

"Please join the Arab Cultural Association at the University of Georgia as we present Syria Week during the week of February 11-15. The conflict in Syria has taken a tragic toll on its citizens, who are experiencing widespread suffering and shortages of vital necessities. We will be hosting several events to raise awareness of the current situation; these events include:

• Tuesday February 12 - 6:30 PM – MLC Room 207
“Letters to Syria” with the Muslim Student Association
We will be creatively displaying our support for the children of Syria through the creation of cards, letters, and messages that convey our well-wishes. Come by with your artistic abilities and create something that will give these children hope! Supplies will be provided and pizza will be served.

• Wednesday February 13 – 6:30 PM – MLC Room 251
“Syria 101: An Explanation of the Current Crisis”
According to UNICEF, “this Syrian crisis is likely to be remembered as one of the worst humanitarian disasters in modern history.” Who are the key participants? What are the numbers? How did this conflict begin? Dr. Ellen Wald of the UGA History Department will answer these questions as she presents a look at the roots of the crisis and what led to it in addition to highlighting current developments. There will be a Q&A portion of the event as well where the audience may submit questions they’d like to be answered.

• Thursday February 14
“Prayers for Syria: An Interfaith Vigil” – 5:30 PM – The Arch
We will meet at the Arch on Valentine’s Day to honor those who have lost their lives in the Syrian conflict and those whose lives will never be the same. Hundreds of thousands of Syrians have lost their loved ones and wonder if hope truly exists after the things that they have seen. By having an interfaith vigil, we will embrace the religious diversity of Syria as we pray for its people.

• Throughout the week we will also be hosting a food drive. Food items with long shelf lives like flour, sugar, rice, wheat, beef jerky and powdered milk, dried fruits, and dried/canned goods will be sent to a Syrian refugee camp. Bring your donations to any of the Syria Week events or contact us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Please contact us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you have any questions. Our hope is to present to the University of Georgia’s campus an honest, educational, and effective week that highlights this incredibly important current issue. Also, join in on our Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/events/157579764393278/> event for more details and updates.

Sincerely,
Nurin Abdulwassy
Public Relations Chair
Arab Cultural Association"

________________________________

6. Filipino Student Association Presents Filipino Night

Saturday, February 16th: Filipino Night (Ethnic Night). Sponsored by the Filipino Student Association. Location: Tate Grand Hall. Time: 7:00 p.m. Ticket prices: $5 for students and $7 for non-students. Contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for more information.

________________________________

7. Special Event: Partner Yoga
Partner Yoga
Experience a relaxing yoga class with your partner or friend! A great Valentine's Day date.
When: Wednesday, February 13 6:00-7:30pm
Where: Ramsey Student Center, Mind/Body Studio (2nd Floor)
Cost: Pre-registration $15/couple, at the door $20/couple
Register: Ramsey Cashier's Window, M-F 9:00am-6:00pm. At least one partner must be a Ramsey Member, non-Members can purchase a Guest Pass.
________________________________

8. Outdoor Recreation – Upcoming Events

Instructional Clinic: Knot Tying
Student Cost: $10
Non-Student Cost: $12
Non-UGA Cost: $15

Start Date: 02.14.2013
Trip Description

Ever wondered how all those different knots get tied? Attend this workshop to learn a few useful knots applicable to everyday living as well as outdoor adventures!
SCUBA: Advanced Open Water Course
Student Cost: $95
Non-Student Cost: $105

Start Date: 02.20.2013
Trip Description

Continue to develop your dive skills and experience more of the underwater world. This PADI course will provide a pool session and two classroom sessions to prepare for the open water certification dive scheduled separately with the instructor. This course is designed for those with PADI Open Water Certification.
Instructional Clinic: Backcountry Cooking
Student Cost: $12
Non-Student Cost: $15
Non-UGA Cost: $18

Start Date: 02.20.2013
Trip Description

This hands-on workshop will teach different ways of preparing food in the backcountry. We’ll provide information about various cooking styles, ingredients, stoves, fuels, accessories, and personalizing your backcountry cuisine. Be prepared to get outside and cook!
Instructional Clinic: Basic Bike Maintanence
Student Cost: $20
Non-Student Cost: $25
Non-UGA Cost: $30

Start Date: 02.26.2013
Trip Description

This two part clinic will help you learn the basics of keeping your bike in working order for commuting around campus or riding on the trail. Learn to fix a flat, adjust your gears and brakes, and more. Please bring your bike to the clinic.
Rock Climbing: Rappelling/Climbing Currahee Mountain
Student Cost: $60
Non-Student Cost: $65

Start Date: 03.02.2013
Trip Description

Come enjoy a cool day and scenic overlooks atop Mt. Currahee in north Georgia. We’ll let gravity do the work as we descend from the mountain top then climb beginner friendly routes back to the top. Pre-trip meeting is required.
Wilderness Medicine: Wilderness First Responder
Student Cost: $625
Non-Student Cost: $650
Non-UGA Cost: $680

Start Date: 03.09.2013
Trip Description

This eight day, 70 hour course is the ideal medical training for outdoor enthusiasts, outdoor educators, guides trip leaders, and others who work or play in remote areas. These hands-on classes will show students how to deal with medical emergencies when they are miles from help and dialing 911 is not an option. Lectures and interactive scenarios emphasize on the prevention and identification of medical emergencies, appropriate technology and risk management. The curriculum is presented by professional instructors from Wilderness Medical Associates and will introduce students to the basic ideas of medicine for the field, whether the field is a national park or the high seas. Graduates will be certified by Wilderness Medical Associates. More information about the First Responder course and about Wilderness Medical Associates is available at www.wildmed.com<http://www.wildmed.com>

Participants will need to bring a notebook and pen. Text books provided. Bring plenty to drink, snacks and lunch each day. Remember some clothes and raingear for outdoor scenarios. A reminder email will be sent before the first day of class.
Caving: Tumbling Rock
Student Cost: $70
Non-Student Cost: $75
Non-UGA Cost: $80

Start Date: 03.22.2013
Trip Description

Beginners should definitely take advantage of the opportunity to explore this great cave in Alabama. After camping out , you will follow the streambed along the cave passages and marvel at the incredible cave formations on the walls, floors and ceilings. The pre-trip meeting is mandatory.

________________________________

9. Free Informal English Classes

Free, informal English classes taught by UGA students.  See attached flyer for more information/details.

________________________________

10. International Students’ Organization – Conference Opportunity
“A collective of International students from various universities across the US have been working together endlessly since last fall 2012 to put together the ‘Association of International Students’ Organization.’
This Organization will be serving two goals:

• Better connect our respective International Students’ Organizations throughout the Nation and provide a great web for network opportunity.

• Advocate for the cause of all the international students, mobilize to advance a series of initiatives that will pave the way for a better future for the generation of International Students to come.
From March 15 to 17, 2013, the University of Arkansas will be welcoming international students’ organizations delegates from different Universities across the United States of America for a three days conference under the theme ‘Building for the Future.’ This conference will allow us to set a strong foundation for the National organization.
We would love for your school/University to send a representative. The conference will be of no charge, except for a $50 registration fee. Attendees will also have to cover their respective transportation fee all the way to Fayetteville. We will cover the hotel and meal cost as well as transportation during the conference. Please pass along the message to the International students leaders at your school.
Online registration will start from January 15 to February 15. Space is limited. Please check the conference website at http://www.uark.edu/rso/iso/aiso/ for more info. There is also a flyer attached to this email.
Follow us on Twitter at US_AISOLike us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/usaiso
Thank you for your support and consideration.
Danilo Tchoupe
ISO President”
________________________________

11. OPT Workshop Information Sessions – Office of International Education
International students holding an F-1 visa status may be eligible for a work benefit in the U.S. called “Optional Practical Training”, or “OPT.” The ISSIS Office in the Office of International Education offers an online workshop about OPT, and following completion of that online workshop, an in-person workshop for those who have submitted a request for an OPT recommendation to ISSIS. See details below:
The process for applying for OPT is as follows:
1. Online workshop attendance: Students MUST complete the online workshop available at, http://international.uga.edu/issis/opt_workshop
2. OPT application completion: Students must also complete the OPT application which can be found at: https://fs21.formsite.com/issisuga/F1OPTRequest/secure_index.html
3. In-person Question and Answer session: Students may then sign up to attend a Q&A session held at OIE. These Q&A sessions will be geared toward application review only. Students must bring the completed OPT application to the Q and A session.
AFTER you complete the online orientation, you may complete the application form and then sign up for a Q&A session on how to assemble and mail your packet to the government. You should bring your application to the Q&A session. You can sign up for a session by emailing [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> , or by calling 706-542-2900.
Please see below the schedule for OPT Q&A sessions for the spring semester:
Tues. Feb. 12 at 1 pm
Wed. Feb. 20 at 9 am
Thurs. Feb. 28 at 12 noon
Fri. March 8 at 3 pm
Mon. March 11 at 10 am
Tues. March 19 at 4 pm
Wed. March 27 at 11 am
Thurs. April 4 at 8 am
Fri. April 12 at 2 pm
Mon. April 15 at 9 am
Wed. April 23 at 12 noon
Questions? Contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

**************************************
International Student Life
University of Georgia
210 Memorial Hall
Athens, Georgia 30602-3108  USA

Phone:  706-542-5867
Fax:  706-583-0006
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Website: http://isl.uga.edu/
Join the ISL Facebook Group: "International Student Life - University of Georgia"
Follow ISL on Twitter: @ISLatUGA

Leigh Poole, Associate Director of Student Life for International Student Life
Jackie Minus, Administrative Assistant
Chase Harvey, Graduate Assistant for Coffee Hour and Programming
Jessica Walker, Graduate Assistant for Student Organizations and the Non-Resident Tax Program