The sixth and final practice forestry field day for the South Region is now
history. If you have a forestry team, you should know where your strengths
and weaknesses are and know what you need to work on these next two weeks.
Good luck to everyone as you prepare for the Area Forestry CDE.

We had ten Sr. teams and ten Jr. teams with a total of 281 contestants.
Good turnout on a beautiful spring day!

Thanks to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service for hosting the event: Refuge
Manager Curt McCasland; Assistant Refuge Manager Mindy Gautreaux; Refuge
Biologist Sara Aicher; Forest Technician Howard McCullough. Ms. Aicher
planned the event for you and did an outstanding job. Mr. McCullough was by
my side during the whole set-up process and made my stay very enjoyable. As
you peruse the keys, you will see that we incorporated the management
objectives of the refuge into our field day. From reforestation to forest
management, your students got a real world taste of what happens on one of
our country's greatest treasures - the Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge.

Thanks to Audrey Pickren, Ag teacher at Charlton County High School, for
coordinating the food and the awards - no small task. Thanks for your very
gracious hospitality, Mrs. Pickren.

And lastly, but by no means least - thanks to the Georgia Forestry
Commission personnel who were on site and ready to go to work. Words cannot
express my sincere gratitude for all the help, advice, and guidance I
have received from these gentlemen this season. I appreciate it very much!

The top three teams in each division are:

*Senior Division:*
*
*
1st - 812 - the *Echols County *FFA Chapter, Advisor Hank Majeski
2nd - 804 - the *Bleckley County *FFA Chapter, Advisor Doyle Floyd
3rd - 726 - the *Ware County *FFA Chapter, Advisor Renee Smith

*Junior Division:*
*
*
1st - 785 - the *Echols Middle* FFA Chapter, Advisor Shelby Corbett
2nd - 659 - the *Appling Middle *FFA Chapter, Advisor Ricky Barnes
3rd - 636 - the *Bleckley County *FFA Chapter, Advisor Walt Parks

Good luck as you prepare for your Area Forestry CDE!

*Danny Bartlett
Forestry Area Teacher
South Region Agricultural Education*
*ABAC 34 - 2802 Moore Highway*