In an effort to provide the participants in the Forest Management event at
the Langdale FFD a real-world scenario, I devised an event management
objective that was based on the real landowner's management objective. The
plot clearly did not have many trees on it, but he did not want to cut what
trees were there. I read the paragraph from the Forestry CDE guide (see
below). Notice the highlighted phrase; highlighted indicating this was new
to the guide for this season. I read "appropriate" as you could clear cut,
but did not have to. After talking to my colleagues in the North and
Central regions, I was informed that this phrase was added to clear up any
confusion. Therefore, in the future, if a stand is *understocked*, we
will *clear
cut*.

My apologies to the Forest Management teams and Advisors who knew the rule,
applied it correctly, and were penalized for doing so.

a.  Clear cutting method  This method requires that the area is cut clear
or virtually all of the trees, large or small, in the stand are removed in
the process.  It is also loosely applied to any type of cutting in which
all of the merchantable timber is cut and all trees that cannot be utilized
are left.  Reproduction is usually secured after the cutting by artificial
regeneration such as seeding or planting.  Clear cutting would be
appropriate when the landowner would like to improve the genetics of the
stand, when significant income is needed, when stand is under stocked, or
when the stand is mature. (FORESTRY CDE  SENIOR DIVISION GUIDE p. 27)

*Danny Bartlett*
*Forestry Area Teacher
South Region Agricultural Education*
*ABAC 34 - 2802 Moore Highway*