In an effort to provide the participants in the Forest Management event at the Langdale FFD a real-world scenario, I devised an event management objective that was based on the real landowner's management objective. The plot clearly did not have many trees on it, but he did not want to cut what trees were there. I read the paragraph from the Forestry CDE guide (see below). Notice the highlighted phrase; highlighted indicating this was new to the guide for this season. I read "appropriate" as you could clear cut, but did not have to. After talking to my colleagues in the North and Central regions, I was informed that this phrase was added to clear up any confusion. Therefore, in the future, if a stand is understocked, we will clear cut.

My apologies to the Forest Management teams and Advisors who knew the rule, applied it correctly, and were penalized for doing so.

a.  Clear cutting method – This method requires that the area is cut clear or virtually all of the trees, large or small, in the stand are removed in the process.  It is also loosely applied to any type of cutting in which all of the merchantable timber is cut and all trees that cannot be utilized are left.  Reproduction is usually secured after the cutting by artificial regeneration such as seeding or planting.  Clear cutting would be appropriate when the landowner would like to improve the genetics of the stand, when significant income is needed, when stand is under stocked, or when the stand is mature. (FORESTRY CDE – SENIOR DIVISION GUIDE p. 27)

Danny Bartlett
Forestry Area Teacher
South Region Agricultural Education
ABAC 34 - 2802 Moore Highway