Agriculture Teachers,

I hope you are doing well and that everything is going great as we wind down this school year. Thank you for all the hard work you have put forth this year to help each of your students  achieve their maximum potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success!

Each year as we enter the summer break, I often receive questions from CTAE directors and teachers regarding the number of days worked during the year that can be counted towards extended year days. As a reminder, teachers who are on 11 month contracts (20 extended year days) may count up to five weekend days or holidays worked throughout the year. Teachers on 12 month contracts (40 days) can count up to 10 days. For example, if a teacher spent a full Saturday at the State Livestock Show and another two Saturdays at FFA events, he or she could deduct three days from the number required.

I realize that many of you work many more Saturdays and holidays than this. If we were in the business world this would undoubtedly result in numerous days of comp time. But we do not work in industry--we change lives by working with students. Therefore, the numbers listed above are the maximum that should be deducted from the Ag Extended Year work schedule. The summer is an important time to supervise SAE projects, work on FFA leadership activities, attend professional development workshops, and conduct other activities on the local level such as canning plants. By adhering to this criteria, it helps ensure that our programs are serving students most effectively through the summer months and it helps maintain the integrity of our extended year program.

I hope each of you have a great summer. If I can be of assistance in any way, please let me know.

Lynn Barber, Ed.D.

Georgia Department of Education

2802 Moore Highway, ABAC 34

Tifton, GA 31793