Fellow Ag Teachers,

During the GVATA conference (state staff report) I mentioned some new modifications to the Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources (AFNR) Career Cluster. Here are some of those details. There will now be 34 pathways available to students. This should provide for more options and flexibility as you and your school officials determine your course offerings in the years to come. Thanks go out to the various members of the Agricultural Education Curriculum Advisory Committee and the Georgia DOE administrators for making this new cluster model possible. I believe you will appreciate the opportunities that this new pathway alignment will allow – especially for the single Ag Teacher programs. Attached is a scan copy of the brochure that is being mailed to each school system that reflects this new structure. Several of these will be in the packet sent to each school. They should receive it sometime in August.

Additionally, I have attached the state guidelines that provide for teaching an 8th grade course in Basic Ag Science that will count toward pathway completion for those students when they move to high school. These guidelines must be followed in order for the students to earn credit for it as a pathway course. I would suggest that you work with your school administrators to provide this as an option. It could be a great way to start a middle school Ag program for those systems that currently do not have one.

Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance. As always, I am thankful for the great example you set before your students and for being leaders in your community. Keep up the great work!

John (Chip) Bridges

Program Manager, Agricultural Education

Georgia Department of Education

1752 Twin Towers East