1.       International Coffee Hour – This Friday

International Coffee Hour at the University of Georgia is a weekly program that brings UGA students, faculty, staff, and community members together over coffee and international cuisine. Meet others and learn about cultures from all over the world.

This week’s host: THE COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING

Friday, August 30, 2013

11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Memorial Hall Ballroom

For more information, contact ISL at [log in to unmask] or (706) 542-5867

2. World Ambassadors now accepting member applications

Greetings,

World Ambassadors is now accepting applications for members.

Operating within the Office of International Student Life (ISL), World Ambassadors is a diverse student organization with three primary objectives:

  1. Spreading international awareness and facilitating cross-cultural exchange within UGA and the Athens community.
  2. Engaging international students at UGA in American culture, and providing them with opportunities to connect both with one another and the student population at large.
  3. Assisting ISL and other ISL organizations with their efforts to increase cultural awareness and education with the UGA and Athens communities.

Throughout the year, we organize social and educational events to stimulate cross-cultural exchange at UGA. Some of our events include: tailgates, recreational soccer and frisbee games, special lectures on global issues, and multicultural programs. We plan several special day trips as well in order to introduce international students to different aspects of American culture. Additionally, we volunteer to help out fellow ISL student organizations with their ethnic nights and other events throughout the year.

Core members of World Ambassadors are required to attend bi-weekly meetings, serve 2 hours within ISL or at a cultural event per month, and pay $10 annual dues.

If you are interested in joining World Ambassadors, please fill out the application found at the link below by 4:59 PM on Friday, August 30th, 2013.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_Ac7sSsKGEx2W1Ei0D9OC2B9luK5s4pxwe2i3ZhJfGE/viewform

3. Career Center International Student Series: Resumes & Cover

International Student Series: Resumes & Cover Letters

Date: Thursday, August 29th, 3:30-4:30pm

Location: Miller Learning Center, Room 248

This workshop will consist of 3-4 panelists addressing any concerns or questions that international students have about the resume or cover letter. Whether you’re pursuing jobs in higher education or a corporate position, come to learn what makes you stand out in the U.S. job search!

Dress for this workshop is casual.

More information: (706) 542-3375

This event is sponsored by the UGA Career Center

4. CSO – Fall Activities Fair, Aug. 28

Signups for the 2013 Fall Activities Fair are open on the CSO Website! Space is limited, so be sure to sign up as soon as possible. http://stuorgs.uga.edu/fair/register.html

The 2012 Fall Activities Fair is scheduled for Wednesday, August 28, 2013 from 10:30am-3:00pm on the Tate Plaza

5. CSO – Fall Student Organization Registration Updates

From Josh Podvin

Student Leaders and Advisors:

Welcome back to Athens! I hope that you are ready for an exciting 2013-2014 academic year.

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for your patience as we work to transition to a new registration & organization management system. I know that this transition has not been ideal for all organizations; however, once the system is fully integrated I believe it will provide a great benefit to how you are able to manage your organizations.

As with any transition there tends to be some delays and our transition to this new software system has been no different. In order to accommodate organizations wishing to reserve space, fundraise, and advertise during the 2013-2014 academic year the CSO has developed an interim update process that all student organizations will have to go through.

In order to be considered active for the 2013- 2014 academic year, organizations that were registered for 2012-2013 must send a representative from their organization to a Mandatory Information Session (dates & times listed below, as well as on the CSO website). The information sessions will cover necessary policy updates, how to update organization information, and the new registration system planned for the spring semester.  If you are interested in starting a brand new student organization, please contact the Center for Student Organizations: [log in to unmask].

***Special Note***

All organizations may now begin to make reservation requests in facilities beyond the Tate Student Center and Memorial Hall (i.e. Miller Learning Center and Academic Buildings); however, it is still expected that your organization will register by the priority deadline: September 13, 2013. Failure to register by September 13, 2013 will result in room reservation privileges being revoked.

If you have questions or concerns please email the CSO: [log in to unmask]

Registration Dates, Times, & Locations:

Date

Time

Location

August 29

12:00pm-1:00pm

Tate 137

September 3

3:00pm-4:00pm

Tate 137

September 4

5:00pm-6:00pm

Tate 137

September 5

5:00pm-6:00pm

Tate 137

September 9

10:00am-11:00am

Tate 137

September 10

10:00am-11:00am

Tate 137

September 11

10:00am-11:00am

Tate 137

September 12

10:00am-11:00am

Tate 137

September 13

10:00am-11:00am

Tate 137

6. Association of Chinese Professionals - Dragon Boat Festival

Dear all,

I am so excited to tell you that our annual dragon boat festival is coming! For those who attended this event before, welcome back! For new UGA students, welcome to UGA and ACP-UGA. Association of Chinese Professionals (ACP-UGA) organizes a team to attend the Atlanta Dragon Boat Festival every year, and we've won the championship twice in the past five years! So the most exciting time of the year is coming! For more information about our association, please check out website at http://acp-atlanta.org/.

When and how to attend this event:

The event will be on Sep. 14th at Lake Lanier (carpool will be provided if needed). In order to attend this event, there are two options:

1. Team Player: Join as a dragon boat team member. Let's go, Dawgs! Every one is encouraged to join us in the team. No prior experience needed, what you need is just passion.

2. Cheer Team: If you just want to enjoy this event by watching, you are also welcome to join us and pass your passion to the team players.

We strongly encourage you to join the dragon boat team and have a full experience of the festival. Also, team players will have priority in carpooling.

How to register:

Please send an email to [log in to unmask] with:

(1) your information (including name, local address, cellphone and email);

(2) which option you choose (team players or cheer team);

(3) If you need carpool or can provide carpool.

Boat positions and carpool spaces are limited, so please register as soon as possible! Team players will have carpool priority. The registration deadline is Sep 7th.

Lunch will be provided.

If you have any question, do not hesitate to email me at [log in to unmask].

Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you!