Dear Agricultural Education Teachers,

I can think of no better start to a school year than what we have experienced so far this year. Georgia AgEd teachers and students continue to raise the bar and bring positive national attention to the program. With 28 National Proficiency Finalists, 19 National Finalists for the Agriscience Fair, 11 National 3-Star Chapters (including one models of innovation finalist), 19 CDE individual or team competitors, A STAR finalist in Agriscience for the American FFA Degree, along with lots of Band and Talent from Georgia participating in the National FFA Convention, this year in Louisville will be one to witness. If you are one of the many that will have students going to represent Georgia in a National FFA competition, please let the AgEd staff know if we can help as you prepare for representing our state. We will be happy to set up mock interviews, provide technical assistance or practice opportunities for your students. I would also encourage you to invite school administrators or other key supporter to attend the convention with your chapter to witness the success for your chapter and for the Georgia FFA.

As yet another school year is underway, I would like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to everyone for the great work you are doing. I can honestly say that I am blessed to be part of such an outstanding profession, where the teachers are truly making a positive difference in the lives of students. Please remember the importance of what you do each day. You are setting an example for your students that will mean more than any curriculum or lesson plan that they will get throughout the year. And all of the state and national winners are fun and exciting, but the thing I love the most about agriculture teachers is the impact you have on all students. I have often heard stories about how a student would cause problems for other teachers and not work in other classes, but the Ag Class was able to get the most out of that same student. It is also rewarding to hear about times when Ag teachers did not judge a student based on what they look like or what the other teachers said about them, but they found the true potential in that student when no one else gave them a chance. For all those late days, those numerous SAE home visits, and the early morning meetings and preparation for FFA activities  – please know that you are making such a positive difference in the lives of your students.  I am honored to be part of the agricultural education profession because of the passion and dedication each of you have for great class / lab instruction, supervised agriculture experiences, and a quality FFA chapter.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

John (Chip) Bridges

Program Manager, Agricultural Education

Georgia Department of Education

1752 Twin Towers East