Teachers and Agents,

The Beef Cattle Ad Hoc Committee met yesterday to work out details for the new rules change for the State Heifer Show.

As you know we have in the rules for this year (page 19):

In 2015 the age requirement for heifers is changing. Heifers born January 2013 (Yearlings) through Junior Heifer Calf (March 1, 2014 and after) will be allowed to show.

To simplify:  Heifer born from January 1, 2013, through August 31, 2013 are eligible to show in the 2014 State Show as always.  In addition, from the statement above - those same heifers will also be allowed to show in the 2015 State Show.

The decision was made yesterday using the input of the survey that you had opportunity to fill out that these heifers would be required to show in the 2014 State Show to be eligible to show in the 2015 State Show.

To simplify:  The heifers born from January 1, 2013, through August 31, 2013 must be registered by October 1, 2013 for the 2014 State Show to be eligible to show in the 2015 State Show.

Also decided yesterday:  All heifers will be eligible for the Top 5.

In addition, the following are topics that were discussed and will have a formal decision made at the next Ad Hoc meeting in March.  If you have any input on these see your Beef Cattle Ad Hoc Committee Members.

For the 2015 Show:

1.  Heifers older than September 1, 2013 should have documentation of pregnancy or that they have been flushed?
2.  Commercial Heifers:  Shown by weight?  Separate the two groups?  January 1, 2013, through August 31, 2013 and September 1, 2013, through August 31, 2014?
3.  Mouth heifers born September 1, 2013 and after?

I would like to thank our Beef Cattle - Ad Hoc Committee Members for their work on this new adventure in our Heifer Show.

RW
--
Ricky Wheeler
Area Animal Science Teacher