Teachers -

Attached you will find the Spring 2014 Plant Order form. This year we have chosen Lewis Farms as our central region wholesaler and are excited to offer you new plant material choices along with many tray size options.

Please see the information below concerning the difference in tray size, order deadline, plant pickup location options, and plant combination suggestions.  Also note there are four tabs at the bottom of the order form: Annual Plugs, Rooted Cuttings, Vegetables and Herbs.

ORDER DEADLINE
The deadline to place your order is Monday, November 11.

DELIVERY OPTIONS
I will send out an email in Jan to set up for pick up location.
This year we are offering FIVE pickup location options:
Saturday, February 8th in conjunction with State CDEs at Fort Valley State.
Monday, February 10th - There will be 1 centrally located school pick up in Area 3
Tuesday, February 11th - There will be 1 centrally located school pick up in Area 4
Wednesday, February 12th in conjunction with the Region Poultry CDE in Eastman.
or You can pick up directly from the grower in South Houston County.

Note -- there will be NO plant pickup at the GVATA Winter Conference this year.

TRAY SIZE EXPLANATION
This year we are offering several tray size options:
512 - an economical choice for teachers who purchase large quantities of a specific plant, but please note that plugs will be much smaller than the 345 tray offered in the past meaning longer finishing times in the greenhouse.
288 - larger plugs and faster crop maturity than the 345 tray offered in previous years.  This is the industry standard.
144 - larger plugs than the 288 tray -- note these are NOT half trays of the 288 flats.
100 - offered in rooted cuttings only.
True half trays are offered in rooted cuttings and vegetables for teachers who might like to try something different without having to commit to a lot of plant material.

PLANT COMBINATION SUGGESTIONS
You will find there are several new items on the list this year that work great in mixed container baskets (1 or more different plants per basket/pot) such as:

Scaveola (a cascading flowering plant) mixed with wave petunias
Creeping jenny (a unique lime green plant that spills over containers) mixed with impatiens or petunias
Canna Lily (dwarf), sweet potato vine, and wave petunias
Creeping jenny, hypoestes, and petunia
Calibrachoa (also known as million bells), sweet potato vine and verbena
Coleus, Verbena, impatiens
Heliotrope, dichondra (petite leaves that spill over pot), vinca
Hollyhock, calibrachoa, hypoestes
Sweet potato vine, portulaca, melampodium
Ornamental fountain grasses, creeping jenny, dichondra

Feel free to call or email - I'd be more than happy to assist you in making your selections or with any questions you may have.

--
Melissa Riley
Central Region Ag Education